BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MattJans
Obsidian | Level 7

Taking my first steps using SAS EG (8.3) after using it in a class. Trying to transfer what I know about "regular SAS" to this IDE. First reaction is that I love it. 

The thread below was really helpful for getting started with libraries. The key was to find equiv of "Explorer" in SAS 9.4 was to toggle to the Severs tab in the lower left and expand Local\Libraries. 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/How-do-I-open-temp-work-folder-files-in-sas-ente...

QUESTION1: When I double click to open a data file (sas7bdat) SAS creates a temporary library called ECI00001. Best I can tell this is the same thing as TMP1 in SAS 9.4. How does it come up with that name, and why not just make it TMP1 to be consistent with past SAS (to help people transition)? 

QUESTION2: SAS EG will assign a custom libref to my data directory, but that new library doesn't appear in the Local\Libraries view.  I even tried folding and unfolding Local and Libraries, and navigating away from the Servers tab in case is was a refresh thing. Below is the log NOTE I get (creating library DEMO1112), so I know it was assigned. Just not sure why it doesn't display. Note that SAS 9.4 creates Demo1112 in the Explorer even though there is a Tmp library with same physical location. Is this a known bug/limitation in EG 8.3?  Something obvious I'm missing? Thanks!

NOTE: Libref DEMO1112 refers to the same physical library as ECI00001.

NOTE: Libref DEMO1112 was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine: V9

Physical Name: \\...\...\DEMO_RE_G 

2 REPLIES 2
ritabikkerman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

QUESTION1: The name of the temporary library created by SAS Enterprise Guide as "ECI00001" may be a system name created by the EG tool for uniqueness. It does not necessarily have to be "TMP1", and developers may have chosen such an identifier name to prevent conflicts with other temporary libraries or libraries in the project.

QUESTION2: If a user library is not displayed in the Local\Libraries view, it may be due to caching or a view refresh. Try refreshing the view by right-clicking on "Local" and selecting "Refresh". Also, make sure you are working with the correct server in SAS EG and that the library you created is bound to the current server.

If these steps do not solve the problem, there may be some specific SAS EG 8.3 feature that I am not aware of. It is recommended that you refer to the SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 documentation or contact SAS support for more specific assistance.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation