BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jo1
Obsidian | Level 7 jo1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 and would like to change the MEMSIZE and have found ways to do this but have been coming up with the following issues. 

1.  I do not have admin rights on my computer so cannot change the config file where it currently is placed.

2.  I cannot work out how to change the location of the config file on start up so that I can save the config file in a location where I do have rights to change it.

3. I was able to put -MEMSIZE 0 after the exe file in the Target of the start up icon for SAS 9.4 but this doesn't work for EG,

TARGET: "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\7.1\SEGuide.exe" -MEMSIZE 0

4. Although some of the things in the config file can be change in code it doesn't appear that MEMSIZE is one that you can

If anyone has a way around this issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

A similar approach to @Kurt_Bremser is if you get temporary admin rights, edit the existing config file, to point to another config file in a place were you have write access.

In this way, you can always change your SAS startup options without being admin.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jo1
Obsidian | Level 7 jo1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1 and want to change the MEMSIZE.  I've found a few ways to do this but am coming up with problems to them - I'm hoping someone else has gotten around the issues I have:

1.  I do not have admin rights over my computer so can not change the config file

2.  I can't work out how to get SAS on start up to point to a different location for the config file (that way I could save it in a location where I can make changes).

3. I have tried putting -MEMSIZE 0 in the Target after the exe file on the start up icon, this appears to work for SAS 9.4 but doesn't seem to work the same way for EG

4. It seems that although I can change some things in the config file by code the MEMSIZE is not one of them

Any help would be appreciated.

Reeza
Super User

Do you know if EG is running on the server or if it's installed locally on your machine?

If it's on the server, it's a server setting and you'll need your SAS administrator to change it 😞

jo1
Obsidian | Level 7 jo1
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry should have said.  It's just a single licence running on a local machine.

Thanks

SASKiwi
PROC Star

While it is common for organisations to remove admin rights to PC users by default there is usually a way for your IT department to either make the required change for you or to give you temporary admin rights so you can make the change yourself. Do you have an IT Help Desk to discuss this with? 

jo1
Obsidian | Level 7 jo1
Obsidian | Level 7

"Help" being the important word here lol - yep I have a call in and we have made a once off change for the moment.  I do want to be able to test the different values etc and was hoping to reduce the wait times.  Getting admin rights (although this is near to impossible) and/or logging a call each time I want/need to make a change are both solutions but I was trying to see if I could bypass that process.

Thanks

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since MEMSIZE only affects the workspace server (SAS) process, but not EG itself, you can test the effect of different MEMSIZEs in Base SAS.

- copy the file sasv9.cfg from C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.4 to your desktop

- create a link to SAS on your desktop; the target should be "C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.4\sas.exe" -config "C:\Users\Username\Desktop\sasv9.cfg"

- now you can manipulate the -memsize in sasv9.cfg and run your codes in display manager.

Some path names might be different on your system, so use them as a guideline; the core of my post is the fact that you can create individualized config files in your own directory tree, and use them. Make sure that other directives in the cfg can work (like the WORK location and so on).

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

A similar approach to @Kurt_Bremser is if you get temporary admin rights, edit the existing config file, to point to another config file in a place were you have write access.

In this way, you can always change your SAS startup options without being admin.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation