BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Memma
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to SAS Enterprise Guide and have difficulty setting up a local server on my PC. From some of the threads on this forum, it appears that an installation of Base SAS is necessary for this configuration to take place. Can anyone enlighten me on how I can overcome this barrier to learning more about using EG?

Thanks

KPA

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you have a base sas installation as local server, you just chose "no profile". It's not very intuitive, I know...

Data never sleeps
Memma
Calcite | Level 5

LinusH,

Thanks for the response. SAS Enterprise Guide appears to be crippled and JMP is no better though I use both intermittently for basic stats analysis.

Consequently, none of the e-learning courses can be faithfully replicated without serious contortions when library assignments are required. I am wondering if I can afford Base SAS on my limited student budget. Are there ways around these limitations or is Base SAS equally constraining? Or should I be looking in the mirror?

I appreciate your helpful response.

Memma

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your comment that you need Base SAS aka Foundation SAS on your PC to have an Enterprise Guide local server is correct. Just to clarify EG is a thin-client app that requires either a local or remote SAS server to be functional - it is not a standalone product. With Base SAS much of the functionality in EG will then work, but not all. Some EG tasks require other SAS products.

Have you looked at the SAS On Demand product? This may be more suitable for you as a student. I understand it may only be available though if you are in the US or Canada (not an option for me then...). Also I believe many educational organisations are able to provide SAS free to students if they are using it for their courses and have the appropriate SAS education licences.

Memma
Calcite | Level 5

SASKiwi

Actually, I am supposed to have the SAS On Demand for Academics even though the installation identification is labeled as SAS Enterprise Guide. I am not sure if it is the same thing, but that is what I got on the download link.

I am surprised none of my colleagues mentioned the awesome power inherent in SAS. I am new to this interface and quite impressed with how much more easily I can navigate and perform statistical functions.

Thank you for feedback.

Memma

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

SAS On Demand for Academics uses the EG client configured to only connect to a server at SAS.  Due to that configuration, certain functionality related to retaining information (LIBNAMEs) is reduced.  Many academic institutions also license regular SAS for use by students at a reduced fee, so check with IT on it.  On Demand for Academics is much easier for instructional use as the installation overhead is much lower; the price of such convenience is somewhat reduced functionality.

Billybob73
Quartz | Level 8

In my case this My Server profile is not there by default. What can I do to get a localserver installed ? Thanks.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I replied in your post that you need to run the SAS Deployment Wizard to install a local SAS server as well as EG. You will also need a SAS licence for SAS on your PC for the install to work.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation