BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Billybob73
Quartz | Level 8

Hi 

I have installed SAS Enterprise Guide and i would like to make a local server connection profile.

I cannot get this to work.

The indeendent installation does not install SAS foundation.

There's no such thing as a default 'My Server' profile that i can successfully connect to.

I have already admitted SAS EG in my windows firewall.

I tried to select Local as machine in my profile along with 'Use IWA' and port 8561

How can i connect to my drives to connect to data there locally ?

I installed SASEnterpriseGuide61_M1_x86_x64 as SAS_Enterprise_Guide_Independent_Installer within Windows 7 in an Oracle VirtualBox.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The SAS Enterprise Guide system requirements doc mentions the requirement:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikeguidesr/68009/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

In the "Additional Requirement Information" section, it states:

To run SAS Enterprise Guide after it is installed, you must have one of the following configurations:

• SAS Foundation installed on the client machine (local configuration)

• A metadata connection to a SAS Metadata Server and SAS Workspace Server with SAS/Integration Technologies (remote configuration)

As others have mentioned, the EG standalone installer is simply a convenient way for installing EG (the client) only.  This is most useful in a remote server environment, where you are only installing the EG client on end-user machines.  If you need a local configuration (EG and local SAS Foundation), it is easier to deploy traditionally (with SAS Deployment Wizard) rather than the standalone installer.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
For a ‘local’ Enterprise Guide connection, you would need Base SAS installed in addition to Enteprise Guide. Then, when you connect to ‘local’ from Enterprise Guide, you’ll invole the local installation of Base SAS that can access your SAS datasets.
Billybob73
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Nhvdwalt,

Thanks for your answer. This sounds logical and plausible, but why would SAS offer a standalone SAS EG installation which is useless without a localserver ?

There is no SAS Foundation in this installation and in the instructions there's no explanation to install it.

Rgds

BB

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
EG is designed to be a client interface for either sever based SAS or local SAS. The reasons for both depends on your needs and budget. Neither is right or wrong, depends what you need. For processing that can be accomplished locally, PC SAS will probably do the job, but analytics works with bigger and bigger data in which case you might consider a server. You can even have EG setup for both, very flexible product.

What is your processing requirements?

Billybob73
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for your answer Nhvdwait.

The only thing I want to do is install a local server in this EG standalone installation, but I can't figure out how.

I need someone to tell me which installation I need. This one apparently is useless.I'm not sure why SAS is offering this.

It's like selling a car without wheels.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
Hold on. EG would not be sold on it’s own since EG is always part of a bigger solution. I.e. local SAS or server SAS. Maybe check with your SAS Account Executive to see if you have the correct media. Correct, EG in isolation doesn’t provide a solution because it’s not meant to be used in isolation.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

EG is useless without SAS Foundation as backend. If your Deployment Wizard does not show SAS Foundation, the software depot is probably for a client/server setup where the server is on a non-Windows platform. Or you received a EG-only sub-depot for connection to the server. Get in contact with the one who supplied you with the software.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
Agree with Kurt, seems like your media might be wrong.

But also, on the this forum we answer generically since we don’t know the specifics of your site. That’s why you need to consult with your SAS AE.
Billybob73
Quartz | Level 8

I managed to install it along with SAS foundation through another installation. 

I still do not understand why SAS is offering a standalone installment suggesting this is all you need. 

Check the installment instructions. Where does it say you need SAS Foundation ?

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikdeploywizug/66034/PDF/default/user.pdf

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

That document is not a "installation instruction", it is the documentation for the Deployment Wizard. It tells you how to use itWhat you install with it depends on the software order, the deployment plan, the machine you select within a deployment plan, and any selections you make on top of that. For "manual" installations, select "Install additional software".

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The EG standalone installer is purely for installing EG and nothing else. To install a local SAS server you need to run the SAS Deployment Wizard, which actually could install both EG and the local SAS server at the same time.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The SAS Enterprise Guide system requirements doc mentions the requirement:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikeguidesr/68009/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

In the "Additional Requirement Information" section, it states:

To run SAS Enterprise Guide after it is installed, you must have one of the following configurations:

• SAS Foundation installed on the client machine (local configuration)

• A metadata connection to a SAS Metadata Server and SAS Workspace Server with SAS/Integration Technologies (remote configuration)

As others have mentioned, the EG standalone installer is simply a convenient way for installing EG (the client) only.  This is most useful in a remote server environment, where you are only installing the EG client on end-user machines.  If you need a local configuration (EG and local SAS Foundation), it is easier to deploy traditionally (with SAS Deployment Wizard) rather than the standalone installer.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation