BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BreakingQuant
Calcite | Level 5

I have an excel file which contains lower case sigmas as column headers.  Removing the sigmas will successfully read in the file.  Is there a way to keep the sigmas?  The error message notes:  "Failed to transcode data from utf-16le to wlatin1 encoding because it contained characters which are not supported by your SAS session encoding."

I am using Enterprise Guide 7.1.

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The first thing to do is to switch the SAS server that your version of Enterprise Guide connects to one that is using unicode support.  Then SAS will not need to try to transcode into WLATIN1 character set.

It still might not work since I don't know if you can really use such strange characters for variable names.  It is best to keep your variable names as normal SAS names.  Maximum of 32 characters, Starts with underscore or letter (A to Z), only contains letters(A to Z), digits (0 to 9) or underscore.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since it causes lots of extra work typing in those non-standard names, you should change the columns names to standard SAS rules (see @Tom's post). If you want to keep the reference, put the original column names in SAS variable labels. You will still need to switch to unicode SAS for this, though.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation