BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bella4794
Calcite | Level 5

Hello. I am a new user to SAS Enteprise Guide and I am trying to load data from an excel file and convert the file to .sasbat file. Here is the process that I am taking:

• Create a local library. View > Assign Project Library
  • Server = "Local - The SAS server on your machine" > Select Next
    • Create Local LIbrary
    • Test Library; Status = "OK" > Select Finish
  •  Bring in the dataset (cvs data file), go to File > Import Data
    1. Find file on local disk. (Local Disk > Users> username>Desktop>”FolderName” > “FileName"
    2. Identify Output data set location (Servers > Local > “FolderName” > Select “Save”)
    3. Click Next

The screen freezes after I click next. After about 15 minutes, I get to a pop-up that states "Determining field attributes" and "1 records examined", but the screen does not progress from that window. It has set at this window for 3-4 hours. I also attempted to save it to the temporary WORK library, but I still have no luck. What may be causing this inability to create the SAS data set? Any help would be appreciated. Attached is a screenshot of the window that I am stuck at.

Note: I'm connecting to SAS Enterprise Guide via Citrix Receiver and I'm logged on during the process.

Examining_Fields_and_Import_Data_from_AirbnbUsersKaggle_csv_and_SAS_Enterprise_Guide.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bella4794
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response at the possible solution. I found out that the
solution was that the csv file that I was trying to import somehow got
corrupted. I deleted the file from my desktop and downloaded a new data
file. This one imported and converted successfully.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

It should be simpler than this.  No need to assign a Local library first.  If your CSV file is on your local drive, you should be able to use File->Import Data to select that file and allow EG/SAS to read it and convert it for you.  Here's a behind-the-scenes explanation for how this works.

Since you're on Citrix, I don't know if your terminal session is configured to map a Citrix path to your local machine.  I know plenty of users that have that capability, but this depends on how your Citrix environment is configured.  You might need to first move the CSV file to a network path that your EG session can access.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
bella4794
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response at the possible solution. I found out that the
solution was that the csv file that I was trying to import somehow got
corrupted. I deleted the file from my desktop and downloaded a new data
file. This one imported and converted successfully.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation