BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
suksrr
SAS Employee
Hello

I've wondered this for a while now but does anyone know the difference between the "Source Informat" and the "Output Informat" when using the Import Data task in EG4.2 for example when reading in an Excel spreadsheet?

In the help it says: The Source Informat is the informat for reading in the data - that makes sense. The Output Informat is the informat to use when creating the output data set?? Why this is needed I am unsure? Or why would these be different?

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
There is an INFORMAT statement which associates a "default INFORMAT" to use with inputting a SAS variable and then also there is any specified INFORMAT that is coded on the SAS INPUT statement.

I was unable to locate any SAS-hosted DOC (at the SAS support website - using the Google advanced search argument below) that mentions the exact phrase(s) you quoted, unfortunately. Suggest you might code both options/parameters with different INFORMAT values (for distinction) and observe what SAS code is being generated to get a clearer understanding.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

+"enterprise guide" +4.2 +informat +source +output site:sas.com
Flip
Fluorite | Level 6
I don't know where the informat of the output data would do anything in EG, but if you open that file in the VIEWTABLE window in SAS that is the informat that is recognized when entering new values.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
The difference is this:

The source informat is used when reading the value from the Excel or text file. Use the proper INFORMAT to interpret the raw value from the data source into a column in your SAS data set.

The output informat is the INFORMAT that you want to associate with the column in your output data set. That INFORMAT would be the default INFORMAT used for future input operations (such as VIEWTABLE, as pointed out). Note that in the data grid within EG 4.2, the INFORMAT behavior is *not* used.

See http://susanslaughter.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/eg-4-2-tip-farewell-to-informats.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation