BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rakeon3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I use SAS EG 8.2.

I have defined a metadata library pre-assigned by SAS Management Console. This library is connected to an Oracle schema.

In SAS EG, it show a lot of table or view that we want to hide. Is there a way to hide the table that we don't want to show?

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do you have a library defined using the metadata engine?

You could combine the METAOUT=ALL libname option with removing metadata registrations for the tables that you don't want to explore.

Another option is to revoke all rights for the users/User Groups that the tables should be hidden from.

Data never sleeps
rakeon3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

we use metadata engine, but we dont't use to register the metadata table on server.

The library is Oracle connection and we can't define the permissione in Oracle DBMS.

We just use SAS EG, open the library created, and click directly on the table that it shows.

We want to just see only some table from the library created in SAS EG.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@rakeon3 Define the libname in SAS metadata with metaout=datareg (or meta if that's an option) and only register the tables in metadata that you want to make visible and accessible to users.

I don't have access to an environment to test it right now but what you want to achieve is a libname that uses the meta engine with metaout=datareg as this will then only show the metadata table definitions (which also means you need to keep table metadata in sync with the physical tables should they change - like a new column).

rakeon3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I defined this libname statment in SAS BASE :

libname tt meta library=c_oracle dbuser= dbpasswd=  METAOUT=DATAREG;

It works, and shows only the register table.

But, how can I create a pre-assigned libname with the META Engine in SAS Managmente Console?

which option should I select?

rakeon3_0-1704898415781.png

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It was a while since I did this (and I don't have access to a fully fledged 9.4 env), but when you are defining your library as pre-assigned, you can chose "Using metadata engine".

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bidsag/n0dyqm6uiptmx0n10c1wuuiavuqh.htm

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bidsag/p0u8xcdo2ll3kmn1oqfz2s0ybooq.htm

Data never sleeps
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @rakeon3 
The meta libname engine is used for objects already defined in the metadata server.
From your post it appears you are creating the library tt using meta engine and in turn this is using the library c_oracle that has  already been defined in the metadata server.
Therefore you are seeing all the tables registered with the library c_oracle.
While there could be many approaches to resolve this issue, one approach is to approach your SAS Administrator (or whosoever having the necessary authority to create the library )  to create an oracle library say for example c_ora2 and register only those table that you want to be available and displayed. 
There after you can create the library with meta libname engine. Thus if the new library is c_ora2 then your connection string would be

libname tt meta library=c_ora2 dbuser= dbpasswd=  METAOUT=DATAREG;
rakeon3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I wasn't able to create from management console the meta library. I have find the the wizzard to create the pre-assigned library :

rakeon3_0-1705411912712.png

But I 'am not able to define l'option library =c_ora2 and METAOUT=DATAREG

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Using SMC define the library using the Oracle engine. Once define test the connection.

Then register the tables you want to surface, pre-assign your library and select "By metadata library engine" to surface tables in EG only if and as registered in SAS Metadata.

Patrick_0-1705449253046.png

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @rakeon3 
Perhaps I was not clear enough in my earlier post. You need to create the Oracle library in the metadata using SMC and register only those tables that you want to be displayed.
There is a good article that is just right for the purpose https://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts771.pdf. There is another resource that may be helpful http://sasissues.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-to-create-library-for-oracle-in-sas.html.
Creation of library are typically done by SAS Administrators. You can approach them for assistance.
Once this is done, you can use the libname statement as mentioned in the earlier post.
Hopefully this should help.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation