BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Hello All,

Please can any one provide some info on below

How to setup the SAS Enterprise Guide 7.13 Integration with Bit Bucket Server

Reference to the below sas article I was able to integrate from SAS Enterprise Guide 7.13 to GIT, however I am required to utilize the SAS Enterprise Guide integration to bit bucket server.

I want the version control of the sas code and collaboration among the team members on a project we are working on

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS179-2014.pdf

I would appreciate if you can provide me some info how to impement this

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I suggest starting with the Bitbucket documentation.  For example, here is how you would clone a repository to your local machine:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-bitbucket/clone-a-repository-861178563.html

After making changes to your .sas files in the locally cloned repository using EG, here is how you could commit the changes and push them back to Bitbucket:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-bitbucket/push-code-to-bitbucket-861185309.html

Or you could commit the changes directly from within EG (as documented in the paper you referenced), then push using Git command-line (as demonstrated in previous link), or using a Git GUI, such as Git Extensions, SourceTree, etc.

Again, working with cloud-based Git repositories (such as Bitbucket, Github, etc.) in EG is almost identical to any other remote Git repository.  You clone it to the client, work out of your locally cloned repository, commit changes to your locally cloned repository, then push the commits back to your remote origin repository (Bitbucket in this case).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi @sasprofile,

You work with a Bit Bucket (or Github, etc) project the same as you do any other remote Git repository.  You will need to clone the repository to your local machine (using external tool), work on (edit, submit, etc) the .sas files out of your locally cloned repository using EG, commit changes to your .sas files in your local repository from within EG (or external tool), then push the commits back to your remote repository when ready to "share with the world" (colleagues).

Casey

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Casey for your prompt reply

Do you have any kind of doc or artice to perform these steps you provided

Thank you

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I suggest starting with the Bitbucket documentation.  For example, here is how you would clone a repository to your local machine:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-bitbucket/clone-a-repository-861178563.html

After making changes to your .sas files in the locally cloned repository using EG, here is how you could commit the changes and push them back to Bitbucket:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-bitbucket/push-code-to-bitbucket-861185309.html

Or you could commit the changes directly from within EG (as documented in the paper you referenced), then push using Git command-line (as demonstrated in previous link), or using a Git GUI, such as Git Extensions, SourceTree, etc.

Again, working with cloud-based Git repositories (such as Bitbucket, Github, etc.) in EG is almost identical to any other remote Git repository.  You clone it to the client, work out of your locally cloned repository, commit changes to your locally cloned repository, then push the commits back to your remote origin repository (Bitbucket in this case).

Casey

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Casey, Thank you very much for the detail information you provided. The steps you provided works the way as you suggested, however am exploring another option of communicating directly with bit bucket repository from within the SAS Enterprise Guide 7.13. by the way please can you tell me what is the purpose of the below option in SAS Enterprise Guide 7.13. Tools>Options>Program History > Git Settings > User name : and User email: Thank you
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG does not currently directly communicate with cloud-based Git repository services, such as Bitbucket, Github, etc.  EG directly works with locally cloned Git repositories, regardless of where they are cloned from (Bitbucket, Github, in-house remote origin, or any other repo).

The User name and User email settings in Tools>Options>Program History>Git Settings are passed to Git, so that when you commit changes, others see who made the changes.

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you so much Casey for all your help
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

You are welcome!  Glad to help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation