BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Loko
Barite | Level 11

Dear All,

When running some code within Enterprise Guide I get the note Numeric values have been converted to character values at the place given by...".

Unfortunately the code is not displayed in the log window and it is not easy to track it (as it is, for example, within Sas-Windows environment).

Also it seems that the log file keeps increasing but I don't know its physical location - how can i find it?

Please check also the attahed file with a piece of the log.

10x

Print.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Are you concatenating a numeric variable with a character variable?

Loko
Barite | Level 11

I am interested in finding out is Enterprise Guide may display something similar with Sas Windows. The code is so large and it is not so easy to

track the note under these circumstances.

Reeza
Super User

When I run code on EG my log still shows the code, plus a whole lot of EG added in additions.

It's more difficult but not impossible.

There's a project log and a task log, make sure you're looking at only the task log when debugging.

Quentin
Super User

Agree, I use the EG task log and it works well for me.  You can turn off some of the EG wrapper code.

I would check options NOTES, MPRINT if you are in macro land, etc.  Perhaps you could show more of the EG log you are seeing?  Maybe submit:

data a;

set sashelp.class;

run;

proc print data=a;

run;

and show the log from that?

Another option is to use PROC PRINTTO to send the log to a file.  That way you definitely know where the log is, etc.  And you can choose whether  to review it outside of EG.  Or send it back to display in EG with a data _null_ step.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Quentin
Super User

Screeenshot of my log is attached.  WIthout the EG wrapper log lines.  Looks like just what you know and love from PC SAS aka DM SAS.

log.JPG

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Quentin,

Looks like you even changed your colors to be old school.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Quentin
Super User

Yep, not only colored for old-school, but was very happy when I started with EG and realized how easy it was to color the log for my personal standard of old school (errors and warnings reversed):

Log2.JPG

And all my old school keyboard macros came in too, just exported the keyboard macro file from DM SAS, and imported into EG.

: )

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

SAS Enterprise Guide displays the log of a SAS program. However maybe somewhere within the code the echoing of the source code has been switched off. Have a look at the following sample code, it shows how to switch off the echoing of the source code to the log. All you will get is the message about converting numeric to character but no source code.

options

nosource
;
data test;
  set sashelp.class;
  length newVar $ 24;

if sex = "M" then do;
    newVar = name !! age !! sex;

end;

else do;
    newVar = name !! sex;

end;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation