BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DBain
Fluorite | Level 6

Has anyone figured out a way to read an Enterprise Guide project file into SAS Studio or vice versa?

The new visual designer view in SAS Studio is a great addition and would suit the needs of a good deal of our analysts without having to try and roll out new desktop applications, which is a considerable chore in out currently desktop infrastructure.

The majority of our existing work is in EG though and I don't want to have to recreate these projects manually or have to try and merge code if the two installed bases need to work together.

9 REPLIES 9
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

While you can open the same external content (ex. programs, etc.) in either, moving projects between Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio (without manually recreating) is not currently supported.  We recognize the value this capability would provide and are exploring adding it in a future release.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

To add a bit to CaseyS' answer, we are looking to add this to SAS Studio and I'd love to get feedback on what we're thinking.  There's not a good way to do a complete conversion from an EG project all the way to a Studio process flow (.CPF file).  What we can do is scrape the SAS code out of the EG project and bring that into Studio as something like a .SAS file.  This is somewhat like the experimental functionality we have in Studio to bring in a stored process - when you pull a stored process into Studio, it creates a Studio task to be able to run it.  So it's not really a conversion, more a way for you to still use your existing things in the Studio interface.

DBain
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks both,

The ability to read the code straight from EG fies into Studio would save time and allow us to resuse our existing assets more effectively. Very much in the same way that we imported code into program nodes in EG when we migrated our processes from Base SAS.

AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

We now have an experimental feature in SAS Studio to read EG projects - see this community post for the details.

SIgnificatif
Quartz | Level 8

What do you think guys about the online version of EG ? it will be good enough ? or the windows version of EG will still be the most stable version and the best solution to write sas code ?

Thank you for your response.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Both EG (Windows client) and SAS Studio (web client) are very capable SAS programming environments.  It is largely personal preference.  You can view current differences between the two here:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/sas-studio/faq/SASStudio_vsEG.htm

EG and Studio are going to continue coming together, so that you can work more seamlessly on content between the two.  Eventually they will be two clients of the same application (one native, one web) -- intentionally not identical, but will leverage the strengths of their respective environments (native vs web), and users will be very comfortable working on the same content from either, seamlessly.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

My guess is that the "fat client" desktop version of EG will always have more capabilities, simply because writing to a desktop development environment like Windows will probably always offer richer capabilities than a zero-footprint web-based environment.

In terms of is it "good enough"? As always, that depends on what you want to use it for! I think this will be a fascinating evolution over the coming months and years, and I can't wait to use all of these facilities, and figure out for myself the strengths and weaknesses of each. There should be some great community conversations around this coming up!

Tom

AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

Great timing!  We just did a SAS Global Forum paper on this very topic & I've posted an article about it.  See https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-Studio-vs-SAS-Enterprise-Guide-Choosing-t... and let us know what you think.

SIgnificatif
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for the response.

nice article, it covers main points on the subject.

Sincerely.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 5 in conversation