BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BillB
Fluorite | Level 6

I currently have one library and as I create datasets it's getting pretty long.

Is there a protocol or standard for the creation of Libraries.

I need to find a way to easily distinguish specific data sets per project so I can use them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

There is no standard protocol on organizing sas datasets into libraries.

It should make sense and easy for operating. One thing could be doing a split into different technical requiremetns like performance and access/security or a logical stepl like "staging area"

As you want the projects to be clear why not organize in projects?

As second to split up in more technical/staging and logical parts ? 

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

There is no standard protocol on organizing sas datasets into libraries.

It should make sense and easy for operating. One thing could be doing a split into different technical requiremetns like performance and access/security or a logical stepl like "staging area"

As you want the projects to be clear why not organize in projects?

As second to split up in more technical/staging and logical parts ? 

ballardw
Super User

I have permanent libraries assigned for data I use regularly. Each library contains the base data that gets updated periodically.

Then for ad hoc projects I create temporary libraries to extract and sometimes combine data from those permanent libraries for the project. I generally keep things structured where I have a folder with the project name, then a subfolder for data (associated with the temporary library), output and programs.

If there are enough components the output and program folders may acquire subfolders grouped by subtopics.

BillB
Fluorite | Level 6

Great responses from both of you Jaap & ballardw.

Our Admin is not trained completly in SAS and therefore I'm relying on people like you to provide guidance.

One more question, when I create data sets, should I register them as Metat Data to make it easier to work with in the Office Analytics add-in?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The libraries are physical on the OS (Windows/Unix) directories.

Creating a directory is mouse click- create-dir/map/folder (whatever naming is used)  or the batch commands like md (windows), mkdir(Unix).

Aside SAS administration some OS en security administration is getting involved. For those parts possible (not necessary) other people are needed to get involved. Your SAS admin should be on that track.

Havingg the physical location defined/ready you SAS admin should define the libnames and connect them to servers (SAS metadata).

By that the librarie-names shoudl become available to all the users using a SAS server(service like SASapp).

The datasets in the librarie will become visible and will be retrievable.  If this is your goal there is no need for further actions.

Are you going to use create new data out of those datasets, using DI (data integration studio) , defining limiting views (information map studio), prompt using datasets as input you need to register the related tables into metadata.

In this approach you are building up a more complex IT environment.

BillB
Fluorite | Level 6

Jaap;

Very good response.

Basically what I am doing now is trying to do most, if not all the data creation and some analysis in E.G. Also, I'm accessing the data sets created in the Office Analytics add-in to do further analysis and reporting and then providing reports to managers.

My concern was to be able to:

1. Organize projects and related datasets so that the datasets can be used in concert with Office Analytics.

2. Get the data sets registered so that they are visible and easily accessed.

Many than for your guidance!

I appreciate what you have ballardw provided.

Bill

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation