BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
barry_van_dijk
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi community members,

We have started to use Enterprise Guide (v. 7.15) based on data imported from CSV files. These files were generated from an SQL client and are the results of sometimes quite complex SQL queries (multiple tables joined together, multiple unions, etc). I was wondering if there is a way to take the SQL statement and convert it somehow into an Enterprise Guide process flow?

Your response is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

It is hard to say.  What I can say is:

You can connect to databases via proc sql in SAS.

You can use any ANSI SQL statement directly in SAS proc sql

So with that, if the database is available to your SAS session, and your SQL from the database is plain ANSI SQL without special database functions and such like, then it should be perfectly feasible to copy the SQL over and run it from SAS rather than on the database.  If you have database specific functions and such like then you can use pass-through which sends the whole SQL to the database for processing, and then receives the results back into a dataset.  (Note I speak mainly of SAS coding, I don't remember much about the front end of EGuide).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

It is hard to say.  What I can say is:

You can connect to databases via proc sql in SAS.

You can use any ANSI SQL statement directly in SAS proc sql

So with that, if the database is available to your SAS session, and your SQL from the database is plain ANSI SQL without special database functions and such like, then it should be perfectly feasible to copy the SQL over and run it from SAS rather than on the database.  If you have database specific functions and such like then you can use pass-through which sends the whole SQL to the database for processing, and then receives the results back into a dataset.  (Note I speak mainly of SAS coding, I don't remember much about the front end of EGuide).

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Apart from excellent advice by @RW9, I just would like to stress that Enterprise Guide is aimed as an ETL tool. I'm saying this since I sense that you wish to structure up your logic in a graphical interface, and perhaps overtime use that for documentation and maintenance reasons.

I f you have many jobs that you wish to treat this way, you might want to look at SAS DI Studio instead.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation