BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SiegelEricR
Calcite | Level 5

Hello. My SAS EG component was recently upgraded from 4.3 to 6.1 as part of the SAS installation on my desktop being upgraded from 9.3 to 9.4. I wish to access libraries that contain permanent SAS data sets. To do so, I typically run a Libname statement. When I try to run a Libname statement in the upgraded SAS EG, I get the following message: A connection to the server "Local" could not be established. This never was a problem in SAS EG before the upgrade. What can I do to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnB
SAS Employee

Also take a look at http://support.sas.com/kb/58761 which is the latest EG/local connection SAS note available.

For more details, see Using SAS Enterprise Guide with your Local SAS installation.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In your EG connection profile try selecting the option to attach local servers to server list if available.

screenshot5.jpg

SiegelEricR
Calcite | Level 5

The option was not available (first image below). Additionally, when I try to establish a profile for myself and set it active, it says Unable to connect to the metadata server (second image below).

SAS EG connections 20141105.PNG

SAS EG metadata server 20141105.PNG

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Does that mean you only connect to SAS on your PC as your SAS server? If that is the case I would confirm that SAS 9.4 is correctly installed on your PC.  Try starting SAS 9.4 directly from the Windows Start button.

SiegelEricR
Calcite | Level 5

SAS 9.4 on my PC fires up just fine. All blue text, no green, no red. SAS 9.4 startup.PNG

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Foolish question, but:

Have you always worked with a single machine setup? Or was your former installation actually a 2/3 tiered setup with a remote server (metadata and workspace)?

SiegelEricR
Calcite | Level 5

At my primary workplace, I have always worked with a single-machine setup. With the previous installation, I never had to create a profile. I could always open localhost successfully, and I could run libname statements successfully to access permanent SAS datasets through folders created within localhost.

BStone
Obsidian | Level 7

Did you try re-registering the SAS server following that note?

Yes you don't need a profile, but EG needs SAS Foundation to run, if you are able to run the same Libname statement in SAS Foundation, than the issue is with EG not being able to find SAS Foundation.

Point is... Enterprise Guide needs SAS to run, whether it's via your local SAS Foundation or via a SAS Server sitting in South America.

SiegelEricR
Calcite | Level 5

Answer to BStone's question: Yes. And it worked.

To make it work, I had to download and install one of the SAS Integration Technologies clients for SAS 9.4. I chose an older one, but when it installed, it also upgraded to the newest one. Then, once the installation was complete, I returned to Installation Note 45258, the note the BStone pointed me to, and followed it from that point forward, substituting newer version numbers when applicable.

Now I can access Locahost, and access preexisting libraries therein, and create new libraries therein using libname statements written in code meant for SAS Foundation, and so on. So Yes, this definitely was a successful resolution to my problem.

Installation note 45258 - Errors occur in SAS® Enterprise Guide® 4.3 after you uninstall SAS® 9.2

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

To just use a local instance of Foundation SAS with SAS EG you can connect using "do not use a profile". If you want to use a metadata profile then you also need a SAS Metadata server and an Object Spawner installed and running - also on your local machine.

BStone
Obsidian | Level 7

Run through the following SAS Note - http://support.sas.com/kb/45/258.html

After an upgrade of EG, you need to re-register (regserver) the server, that should resolve the issue. Make sure EG 6.1 is pointing to your local SAS Foundation.

The same note should apply to SAS 9.4 / EG 6.1

JohnB
SAS Employee

Also take a look at http://support.sas.com/kb/58761 which is the latest EG/local connection SAS note available.

For more details, see Using SAS Enterprise Guide with your Local SAS installation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation