BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

In EG 4.3, is it possible for me to define a function key that will:

1. Run the selected code on the server?

2. Cycle among tabs (program-log-output data-results etc)?

I'm new to EG.  In DMS, I use the keys command to set

F4 submit

F6 next

F7 clear

So I can cycle between eidtor/log/output without using the mouse.

Was happy to see that I could import my keyboard macros, just as in DMS.  But haven't yet figured out how to assign keys to submit and cycle tabs, and my mouse-hand is getting tired of clicking...

Thanks,

-Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In EG, you cannot map shortcut keys for functions outside of the editor window (with abbreviations/macros), as you discovered.  But there are predefined keys for many items.

F3 will "submit selected" statements in the editor, and I use this all of the time when developing a SAS program.  Be careful though -- F3 will also run your entire process flow if you have the focus on a process flow window.  Make sure that your cursor focus is within the editor window.

Ctrl+TAB and Ctrl+SHIFT+TAB will navigate among the tabbed windows in the workspace are (program, log, results) -- again, when that area has window focus.

A complete list of predefined keys are documented in the EG help.  Search the index for "keyboard shortcuts".

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Quetin,

Is this what you are looking for..

Programs->Enhance Editor Keys.

Thanks,

Shiva

EG.png

Quentin
Super User

Thanks Shiva,

I had hoped it would be, but unfortunately it's not. It looks like those are commands for working within the editor.

In Display Manager SAS, DM commands allow you to control the program, log, and output windows.

So for example the 'next' command cycles between the windows (equivalent to cycling between any open "tabs" in EG).  The 'submit' commnad submits code (if code is selected, it submits what is selected, else submits entire program).  So with function keys only I could do something like: clear log- cycle to output window- clear output - cycle to code window- submit.   You can even do "zoom on/off' to minimize/maximize a window.

See:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/syntaxidx/64656/HTML/default/index.htm#/documentation/cd...

I'm still new to using EG for more than just play things, but so far I have found it to be a little click-intensive, even when I just want to open a program and start writing code.

Even just a function key to submit selected code would be a big help!

Thanks,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In EG, you cannot map shortcut keys for functions outside of the editor window (with abbreviations/macros), as you discovered.  But there are predefined keys for many items.

F3 will "submit selected" statements in the editor, and I use this all of the time when developing a SAS program.  Be careful though -- F3 will also run your entire process flow if you have the focus on a process flow window.  Make sure that your cursor focus is within the editor window.

Ctrl+TAB and Ctrl+SHIFT+TAB will navigate among the tabbed windows in the workspace are (program, log, results) -- again, when that area has window focus.

A complete list of predefined keys are documented in the EG help.  Search the index for "keyboard shortcuts".

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Quentin
Super User

Thanks very much Chris.  Keyboard shortcuts helped.  It's a shame that I can't customize it (my poor fingers will have to learn new keys), but good to know I can use F3 instead of right-click-> Run Selection On Server.

--Q.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation