BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
venkata_peddisetty
Calcite | Level 5

Can I Migrate SAS content from SAS Enterprise Intelligence Suite for Education version 9.1.3 to 9.4. If I can migrate is there any special requirements need for the same?

7 REPLIES 7
venkata_peddisetty
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaao, Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I have checked and it has suggested to migrate either to 9.2 or 9.3 as interim process before migrating to 9.4. But that will be an issue if I migrating SAS EBI, what about migrating just SAS Base. Can i Promotions to migrate the catalogs and datasets?

Regards,

Venkat P

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

With SAS base datasets and catalogs there is no SAS metadata. By that your question is getting easier.

- SAS datasets are readable with other versions but not of native format. You can copy them to migrate that (proc migrate Base SAS(R) 9.4 Procedures Guide, Third Edition).

- catalogs need to be converted either cport-cimport (one direction) or by SAS/Connect (two directions) Migration: SAS/CONNECT or SAS/SHARE Software  See the note on connect with proc migrate

As you have also Eguide think on the migration of EGP-files (one direction)

To mention when you are migrating to use UTf8 do it with support of lantin1 and utf8 simultaneously in the new situation.

With 9.4 there are better interconnections but cimport is bound to the original encoding latin1 goes to latin1 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
venkata_peddisetty
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

Once again thank you very much, yes i have to migrate SAS EG as well in my migration process.

In this scenario can we consider it as promoting to 9.4 from 9.1.3 rather than considering it as migration. Will that workout? Like install Complete installation of SAS 9.4 and design the same structure SAS 9.1.3.

Regards,

Venkat P

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

As long  you are only using sas catalogs and sas datasets in your migration process this should work.

You did not mention desktop/server usage. Server are almost always running a 64-bit sas version. Desktop are often using a 32-bit sas version. When migrating  from 32 to 64 bit, there are some additional attention points.

The catalog conversion is requiring connect/share usage as far I remember that. When integrating with MS-office it should be of the same bitnes (Dll's restrictions)

When you are installing a server side eip 9.4 there are a lot of small things different. When building this you should review those new approaches. Anyway promoting metadata-content from 9.1.3 to 9.4 is not advisable. That is where the 9.3 temporary step is coming in. Rebuilding everything new could be a good option. With that you should always do a complete installation of SAS 9.4. With metadata not the same structure as 9.1.3. 

venkata_peddisetty
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

Thank you, we are using SAS 9.1.3 EI desktop version, but we are migrating to SAS 9.4 server version with all BI tools.

As 9.4 SMU not support 9.1.3, i am looking for alternatives for my work done. As I have taken the responsibility of migrating, very keen to know all the alternatives and possibilities.

Regards,

Venkat P

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Well you do not have all the BI tools yet with 9.1.3. Than that part is easy to migrate, nothing to migrate.

Working in a server based approach is needing quite different thinking as desktop based. A lot of what is done now cannot be done in the same way in the new situation.

You should also think on what responsibilities should be done by who. A SASApp server is shared by default. When you want or needing to tailore that to several usergroups you are probably needing serveral SASApp (Appservers). the autoexec config batch start can be found as fixes relationship to that appserver. That is not anymore on your personal decision/desktop.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation