BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
windlove
Fluorite | Level 6

I am not sure how SAS server works. My local SAS EG is a 32bit version, but it submits code to a 64bit SAS server. So if I am running a hash table, can it utilise more than 4G RAM on the server?

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

EG is just a frontend that sends code and receives results, it does not interact directly with the SAS session memory. Memory available during data step execution is solely a matter of the server-side SAS process.

Make sure that the workspace server is started with a sufficient MEMSIZE setting, and your user has no memory limits set that might restrict you. The latter needs to be checked with the server admin(s).

windlove
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the reply. Does it mean 32bit or 64bit SAS EGs have no difference if having a SAS server? 

But it does have difference if running on a local desktop or laptop, doesn't it?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With the Local server it also depends solely on the Base SAS installation. IIRC, you can use a 32-bit EG with a 64-bit local SAS. At least I think I have done that at one time.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I wrote about this in a blog article a while ago. Excerpt:

Remember, the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide works great on 64-bit Windows. You can use it to access a 64-bit version of SAS, and it's the SAS process that does the heavy lifting. Using the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide does not limit your ability to access large data or to use SAS for any memory-intensive processing.

The only benefit that a 64-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide might offer is the ability to run really big projects and process flows. That's because project files and ODS results are loaded into the SAS Enterprise Guide process space. (That's SEGUIDE.EXE if you're keeping track in Windows Task Manager.) But those projects would have to be really big, with big results, to consume an amount of memory beyond what you can address with 32-bits.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 16. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation