BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

Hi!

I am trying to run a script with EG and I get an error like: “file WORK.TEST.DATA dont exist” but I dont find the error.

Other problem that i have is that in the DBMS the column names has blank spaces in the name and when I imported metadata in the SMC i have errors with this tables.

Kind regards

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Look at the log of the step that should have created WORK.TEST.

And database columns with blanks are a VERY BAD IDEA and, in my eyes, proof for extreme stupidity on the part of the person responsible.

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

Yes... I Know.  If I execute from the server ( I have a EG installed here for test) I have this problem but, if i execute from a client connected to server it works.

Could be a problem related with the EG configuration?

Thx

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@JuanDaniel wrote:

Yes... I Know.  If I execute from the server ( I have a EG installed here for test) I have this problem but, if i execute from a client connected to server it works.

Could be a problem related with the EG configuration?

Thx

EG works with

option validvarname=any;

and accepts non-standard SAS names (up to 32 characters). But that is mainly there to accomodate the usual stupidities included in Excel files caused by non-programmers.

The workspace server used by SMC does not set this option (AFAIK), and that could be why you have that problem.

Still, using sensible names at the source (the DB) does immediately away with all the curremt problems, and those that will arise in the future.

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

@Kurt_Bremser Sorry for my ignorance.

What is the difference of  execute from the server machine or i execute in a client connected to the server in another machine? Both use the same workspace server?

There is any solution for solve this problem with the column names? Obviously the person responsible of the Database can change all columns names but i think is not a valid idea for him

Thx

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It is Enterprise Guide that sends the option on establishing a server connection. It is not part of the workspace server configuration itself.

I can only repeat it: use proper names in the DB itself, blanks or special characters are idiotic and forbidden at my organisation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation