BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
suraj
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

What is th diffrence between Rsubmit and Signon.

I am trying to run my old programs on grid by connecting remotely. After reading about this I found one code that which we use to connect to remote session.

But I am not sure how to use rsumit and signon. I can run the program only on one node. Do I need to put rsubmit and endrsubmit for each step. Please help me on this. Thanks!

Regards,

Suraj

6 REPLIES 6
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @suraj

signon is used to create/establish connection to an remote SAS Server using Connect Spawner. Same like how you create a connection profile in EG.

once the connection is established you would like to run your SAS code on remote server that you need to place/write between two tags which would execute them remotely. Rsbumit is short for remotesubmit.

rsubmit;
<sas code>
endrsubmit;

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Anand!
suraj
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello @Anand_V,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am using rsubmit and endrsubmit for running my code on remote server.

I have one more doubt with this. if I am assigning library in within the rsubmit that it does not takes the path and throughs error:

Error: Physical file does not exist.

I tried using inheritlib= option and it works. so do inned to put this for all filenames and library.

is there any other way to do it. Please help me with this, Thanks@

Suraj

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @suraj

If you are trying to assign local libraries on the server then it would be an issue and the method you are using is correct.

can check below note from link:-

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/connref/69581/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1eyablk3vvdlkn1h5...

INHERITLIB=(client-libref1 <=server-libref1> ... client-librefn <=server-librefn>)
enables libraries that are defined in the client session to be inherited by the server session for Read and Write access. As an option, each client libref can be associated with a libref that is named differently in the server session. If the server libref is omitted, the client libref name is used in the server session. A space is used to separate each libref pair in a series, which is enclosed in parenthesis.
Note: Because the SAS Work library cannot be reassigned in any SAS session, you cannot reassign the SAS Work library in the server session either.
Restriction The INHERITLIB= option is not supported in either the SIGNON or the RSUBMIT statements to start a secondary (nested) SAS/CONNECT session in a remote SAS/CONNECT server session. If you use the option this way, the secondary session will continue, but the option will be ignored and a WARNING is sent to the SAS log.
Interactions If you use the INHERITLIB= option and the SASCMD= option when signing on to a server session, then the server session attempts to access the client library directly rather than to inherit access to the library via the client session. If the client session and the server session attempt to access the same file simultaneously, only one session is granted exclusive access to the file. The other session's access to the file is denied.
SAS/CONNECT does not support concurrent multi-user access to the same file. This functionality is supported by SAS/SHARE.
See SASCMD=
SAS/SHARE User’s Guide
Example This example shows that the libref named Local in the client session is inherited for use in the server session.
rsubmit job1 inheritlib=(local work=remote);
libname local list;
libname remote list;
data local.a;
x=1;
run;
endrsubmit;
suraj
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @Anand_V for your help!

Now I am able to use rsubmit and endrsubmit option in my program. It shows remote server commencing.

I can only check this by seeing log. Is there anything as from where i can check that it is correctly running on grid.

Thanks a lot for suggestion.

Regards,

Suraj

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @suraj,

I am not aware if you can see using BASE SAS. If you have access to Grid Server you can login and check your own jobs, where it is running etc.

Thanks
Anand
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@suraj

I believe you can direct the log from your remote session to your local log.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi23/Sysarch/p260.pdf

Not sure though if and how this works when interfacing with a grid environment. I'd just give it a go and see what happens.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation