BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JRoman
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

In EG, is it possible to have the log default to being scrolled to the bottom instead of the top after a program finishes running?

Reason I ask is because usually I'm most interested in seeing what it says at the bottom of the log rather than the top (e.g., to see the record count in the last table created, or the terminal error message if an ABORT CANCEL was hit, etc.).

I know it's "not that hard" to get to the bottom of the log manually by:

• using the scroll bar, or
  • clicking in the log pane and pressing Ctrl + End, or
  • pressing F6 and then Ctrl + End.

However, it does become somewhat tedious to have to do that over and over again after each code run.

I'm hoping there is already an option somewhere for this, but if not, I can submit a SASware Ballot for it.

Following are screenshots showing the default behavior and the desired behavior.

The default behaviorThe default behavior

The desired behaviorThe desired behavior

Thanks,

Jake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK there isn't such an option. Looks like the SASware ballot is the way to go. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK there isn't such an option. Looks like the SASware ballot is the way to go. 

JRoman
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, @SASKiwi.

I created a SASware ballot for this at https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/Enterprise-Guide-option-to-auto-scroll-to-bottom....

In the meantime, in case anyone finds it useful, here is a simple AutoHotkey script to scroll to the bottom of the log.  It uses Ctrl + E Ctrl + Q as the hotkey (which I don't think conflicts with any built-in EG hotkeys).  It assumes the Program Editor has the focus when the hotkey is pressed, and returns focus to the Program Editor at the end.

; Ctrl + Q = Scroll to end of Log in SAS EG.  Assumes Program Editor has the focus, and returns focus to Program Editor at end.
#IfWinActive ahk_exe SEGuide.exe
	^q::
		Sleep, 50
		Send {F6}                       ; Switch focus from Program Editor to Log
		Sleep, 50
		Send, {CtrlDown}{End}{CtrlUp}   ; Go to end of Log
		Sleep, 50
		Send, {ShiftDown}{F6}{ShiftUp}  ; Switch focus back to Program Editor
		Sleep, 50
	Return
#IfWinActive

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JRoman  - Nice, however Cntrl E steps you through the SAS log summary items.

JRoman
Obsidian | Level 7

Oops, thanks again, @SASKiwi!  I hadn't been aware of that one.  Good to know!  I've edited my above post to use Ctrl+Q instead.

(It looks like Ctrl+E is missing from SAS's documentation page for EG's shortcuts at https://documentation.sas.com/?activeCdc=egdoccdc&cdcId=egcdc&cdcVersion=8.3&docsetId=ega11y&docsetT..., although oddly enough that page does have Shift+Ctrl+E for stepping to the previous summary item.)

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JRoman  - Yes, I spotted that documentation error too. Ctrl E is included in the EG Short cut keys list window though, at least in EG 8.2.

JRoman
Obsidian | Level 7
It's also present in that list window in EG 8.3 Update 2. I really should have looked there in the first place before assuming Ctrl+E was available... 😉

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation