BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
b_smsha
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I've gone through a few articles and haven't found proper information on how to analyze the chi-square in SAS EM.

Here are my results

b_smsha_0-1624218776113.pngb_smsha_1-1624218785606.png

b_smsha_2-1624218794538.png

Can someone please give a detailed explanation of how this would be analyzed, I have the gist of it but would like to understand this more!

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Can you briefly describe the problem, and what you did to get this far?

--
Paige Miller
b_smsha
Obsidian | Level 7

This is just the initial data exploration, I simply imported my file and connected the StatExplore to the original dataset (https://github.com/washingtonpost/data-police-shootings

Im using StatExplore to see missing values and look at the chi-square to see the relationship between the input and target variable. Hence the graphs above have been generated as a result 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It is telling you which variables are "good predictors" of the target variable.

If the PROB is <0.05 then the predictor is statistically significant (in other words, has some predictive ability). The bigger the Chi-Square value, then the better the predictive value of this variable.

--
Paige Miller
b_smsha
Obsidian | Level 7

For DF, i can see some of my variables are showing a large amount such as for city it is showing 16500, for reference, the race target has 7 levels at the moment, so is this being taken into account for DF? 

When I get the chi-square for another binary target variable, the df is significantly smaller.

b_smsha_0-1624221704272.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Since I don't have your data, I don't know. Maybe you should LOOK AT the data with your own eyes and see if you can see a reason why data set 1 has 300 df for variable STATE, while data set 2 has 50 df for variable STATE.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation