BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
b_smsha
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I've gone through a few articles and haven't found proper information on how to analyze the chi-square in SAS EM.

Here are my results

b_smsha_0-1624218776113.pngb_smsha_1-1624218785606.png

b_smsha_2-1624218794538.png

Can someone please give a detailed explanation of how this would be analyzed, I have the gist of it but would like to understand this more!

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Can you briefly describe the problem, and what you did to get this far?

--
Paige Miller
b_smsha
Obsidian | Level 7

This is just the initial data exploration, I simply imported my file and connected the StatExplore to the original dataset (https://github.com/washingtonpost/data-police-shootings

Im using StatExplore to see missing values and look at the chi-square to see the relationship between the input and target variable. Hence the graphs above have been generated as a result 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It is telling you which variables are "good predictors" of the target variable.

If the PROB is <0.05 then the predictor is statistically significant (in other words, has some predictive ability). The bigger the Chi-Square value, then the better the predictive value of this variable.

--
Paige Miller
b_smsha
Obsidian | Level 7

For DF, i can see some of my variables are showing a large amount such as for city it is showing 16500, for reference, the race target has 7 levels at the moment, so is this being taken into account for DF? 

When I get the chi-square for another binary target variable, the df is significantly smaller.

b_smsha_0-1624221704272.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Since I don't have your data, I don't know. Maybe you should LOOK AT the data with your own eyes and see if you can see a reason why data set 1 has 300 df for variable STATE, while data set 2 has 50 df for variable STATE.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation