BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tsi5980
Calcite | Level 5

Until recently, our company computers has had Java 1.7 installed and historically the the SAS 9.4 Enterprise Miner Java Webstart application has been able to open and run fine. Due to security reasons, our company has decided to uninstall all Sun/Oracle Java from our computers. I was informed by my IT department to attempt to utilize the Azul Zulu products instead of the Oracle Java products. Azul Zulu has a product called "IcedTea-Web" which is its substitute for Oracle Java WebStart. Has SAS Support already documented on whether or not Azul Zulu products are compatible with SAS 9.4? Or has any company been successful in utilizing Azul Zulu "IcedTea-Web" with SAS 9.4? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Supported versions of Java are documented here: https://support.sas.com/kb/56/203.html

The version required depends on your OS and SAS version. You would be ill-advised to experiment with a unsupported version of Java. If security reasons are the issue, then consider updating to the most recent version of Java supported by your OS and SAS combination. Checking with SAS Tech Support regarding security issues would also be worthwhile. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Supported versions of Java are documented here: https://support.sas.com/kb/56/203.html

The version required depends on your OS and SAS version. You would be ill-advised to experiment with a unsupported version of Java. If security reasons are the issue, then consider updating to the most recent version of Java supported by your OS and SAS combination. Checking with SAS Tech Support regarding security issues would also be worthwhile. 

tsi5980
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for the reply.

The version of SAS we are using is:
SAS(r) 9.4M5 (TS1M5)

I will inform my company' s IT Department that our Windows 10 users of SAS will need to continue to use Oracle Java.
I'll also recommend to our IT that utilizing updated builds of Java version 1.8 instead of 1.7 would help to maintain better security.
We will not attempt to experiment with the Azul Zulu software.

Robert Toye
Contractor
IT Service Center
FBL Financial Group, Inc.
Farm Bureau Financial Services
5400 University Avenue, West Des Moines, IA 50266
Ph: 515/226-6227, Fax: 515/226-6079

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation