BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dfs888
Calcite | Level 5

cubeHi,

I am wondering if a re-built cube will be automatically refreshed in Enterprise Guide.

For example, a cube is built, and I bring it into EG and develop custom bookmarks.

1 month later, i re-build the cube.

Does the cube on the EG session get refreshed with the new cube data?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Yes, it should be.  As long as the cube structure remains the same (hierarchies, dimensions and so on), and the cub is rebuilt in the same place (metadata folder) then I expect your bookmarks will work fine as well.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
dfs888
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Chris. I updated the hierarchies but the old cube copy was still there....i could tell by the Properties of the cube (modify date was not the 'new' cube). This seemed odd to me, as I was expecting the old cube to be deleted and a new one created when I re-built it. 

SanjeevaReddyEeda
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi    

When you update a cube in place, you add data and new members directly to an active cube, without disabling, stopping, or rebuilding the cube.

During and after the completion of the in-place update, existing sessions will continue to run on the old cube. When the last session ends on the old cube, the old cube is closed. After the old cube is closed, new sessions apply to the new cube. While existing sessions are connected to the old cube, new sessions are also applied to the old cube. If you do not want to wait for all open sessions to close, you can enforce a switch to the new cube. To switch to the new cube, disable the cube, close all open sessions that query that cube, and enable the cube.

The in-place cube update runs like an incremental cube update. At the end of the in-place update, the cube metadata is updated to point to the new generation folder and the old generation folder is deleted. If the old generation cannot be deleted, because an existing session has locked the files, then the next cube update will attempt to delete the old generation folder.

Deleting cubes

Cube deletion takes place in PROC OLAP and SAS OLAP Cube Studio. If you delete cubes, that have not been updated, then the deletion operation removes cube metadata and physical files. For cubes that have undergone either in place or incremental update, the deletion of old versions and generation folders occurs programmatically. Manual file deletion is not required.

For cubes that have undergone in-place updates, the next in-place update will remove all old generation folders.

For cubes that have received incremental updates, deletion of metadata and physical files takes place as part of the coalesce process.

Cheers

Sanjeeva reddy

Sanjeevareddie@gmail.com
+91 9739133388

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation