BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lauralawton
SAS Employee

SAS Global Forum 2016 just ended, but we are already looking ahead to 2017. We are in the planning stages for papers and presentations and would like your input. What topics would you like to see covered next year? Please be as specific as possible. This conference is for YOU, so we want to ensure the presentations hit the mark. 

7 REPLIES 7
DarthPathos
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Ooh - Data management - one of my favourite topics 🙂

I would love to see (all topics using Base SAS - i don't have access to any of the SAS Data Management products :-))

how to use Powershell with a locally installed version of SAS 9.4 (either through EG or Base SAS) to extract, manage and manipulate data;

creating a data dictionary for a SQL Server database - including number of rows, number of missing values per variable, datatype, min / max values, etc. for a database that has an unknown number of tables / views;

handling missing values for different types of datasets (longitudingal, survey, demographic, etc....).

Thanks for your time and let me know if you need any further information!!

Chris

Has my article or post helped? Please mark as Solution or Like the article!
lauralawton
SAS Employee

Hello DarthPathos,

Thanks for sharing your ideas for data management topics. I'll be sure to forward your suggestions to the folks organizing SAS Global Forum 2017.

Regards,

Laura

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Hi Laura,

Hot topics for me are

• Any plans SAS may have to improve accessing of external database names, table names, column names longer than 32 characters - this is a significant source of frustration. 
  • Any plans or ways to encrypt in-flight data between external RDBMSs and SAS - this seems to be a gap in SAS's security model.
  • Connecting to external databases using connection strings to minimise the need to configure outside of SAS such as in the ODBC Administrator and Oracle TNSNAMES.ORA files - I know this is possible for some databases but it is not explained in a holistic way in any support documents I'm aware of.
  • Techniques for improving the reading and writing performance of data between SAS and external databases, both basic and advanced.

Thanks,

SASKiwi 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I think much of future questions spells Viya. So what data management products is/will be implemented in Viya and how?

Also, what is the future on ETL? Will DI Studio be migrated to Viya? SAS/CONNECT couldn't possibly be the final solution...hope not...
Tightly coupled is the topic about meta data, will Viya provide a more integrated meta data then todays quite fragmented model?

And What is SAS take on the growing market on mapping tools? I think integration with some/any of these is crucial if SAS still wish to be a player on the ETL/DW market.

And to add to @SASKiwi list about databases if there any plans to integrate more attributes through SAS/ACCESS, like labels and other extended attributes?
Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Yet another topic, Hadoop integration.
There are several option today on data storage. Each of them more or less detailed described in the documentation. Bit it would be nice with a prez where these options are compared. Like performance, ease of setup and maintenance, functionality, possibly relationship with other SAS products/functionality. The ones I can think from the top of of my head:
-Hive (and other Hadoop relational storage engines)
-SPDE
-SPD Server
-SASHDAT

Hive (and may be others?) offers different physical file formats. Perhaps a comparison of these could be interesting from a SAS/DW point of view.
Data never sleeps
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi 

Now that content is available on the SAS Global Forum 2017 web site, I’ve pulled out some sessions that relate to topics that interest you. Thanks again for outlining these areas!

Below are your topic ideas followed by related sessions at the event. Note that the Super Demo schedule is not yet available. If you’re not able to attend the conference this year, these links will update with the actual papers as they become available.

DarthPathos:

I would love to see (all topics using Base SAS - i don't have access to any of the SAS Data Management products :-))

how to use Powershell with a locally installed version of SAS 9.4 (either through EG or Base SAS) to extract, manage and manipulate data;

creating a data dictionary for a SQL Server database - including number of rows, number of missing values per variable, datatype, min / max values, etc. for a database that has an unknown number of tables / views; handling missing values for different types of datasets (longitudingal, survey, demographic, etc....).

SASKiwi:

  Any plans SAS may have to improve accessing of external database names, table names, column names longer than 32 characters - this is a significant source of frustration. 

• No related content

  Any plans or ways to encrypt in-flight data between external RDBMSs and SAS - this seems to be a gap in SAS's security model.

  Connecting to external databases using connection strings to minimise the need to configure outside of SAS such as in the ODBC Administrator and Oracle TNSNAMES.ORA files - I know this is possible for some databases but it is not explained in a holistic way in any support documents I'm aware of.

  Techniques for improving the reading and writing performance of data between SAS and external databases, both basic and advanced.

LinusH:

I think much of future questions spells Viya. So what data management products is/will be implemented in Viya and how?

Also, what is the future on ETL? Will DI Studio be migrated to Viya? SAS/CONNECT couldn't possibly be the final solution...hope not...

Tightly coupled is the topic about meta data, will Viya provide a more integrated meta data then todays quite fragmented model?

And What is SAS take on the growing market on mapping tools? I think integration with some/any of these is crucial if SAS still wish to be a player on the ETL/DW market. 

And to add to @SASKiwi list about databases if there any plans to integrate more attributes through SAS/ACCESS, like labels and other extended attributes?

Yet another topic, Hadoop integration. 

There are several option today on data storage. Each of them more or less detailed described in the documentation. Bit it would be nice with a prez where these options are compared. Like performance, ease of setup and maintenance, functionality, possibly relationship with other SAS products/functionality. The ones I can think from the top of of my head:
-Hive (and other Hadoop relational storage engines)
-SPDE
-SPD Server 
-SASHDAT 

Hive (and may be others?) offers different physical file formats. Perhaps a comparison of these could be interesting from a SAS/DW point of view.

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 6 in conversation