BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kevind21
Calcite | Level 5

I'm trying to pass a string to a Global Function/UDF that I've been working on. The purpose of the UDF is to take a string, delimited by pipes (|), remove any duplicate values from the string, and return a string without any duplicate values back, also delimited by pipes. The problem I have is that the string returned is always <= 255 characters, when in some instances it should be more than 255.  I know that strings in the Expression node automatically default to 255 if there is no explicit size given. I assume that the format of setting the size of a string in a UDF would be similar to the format of setting the size in an Expression node, e.g. String (5000) input, but don't know for sure. Is there a way passed this limitation?

4 REPLIES 4
skillman
SAS Employee

You are correct that the in stating that string symbols may be declared with a size. If you assign a value to a string symbol, it is truncated/increated to this size. If you do not specific a size, 255 is used by default.

This is an example from the Expression Reference document for format of setting the string size:

string(20) person

integer x

integer y

integer age

Age=10

if Age < 20 then

person="child"

else

person="adult"

if Age==10

begin

x=50

y=20

end

// nested if/else

I hope this helps.

-shawn

kevind21
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you everyone for your quick responses! I didn't clarify my dilemma enough. I am setting the size of my string variable to greater than 255 i.e. (string (5000) longStr) in the expression node, and I'm passing it as a parameter to my UDF. In the UDF I store the parameter in a string that has a size greater than 255. It eventually gets passed into an output string which I declare as having more than 255 characters. It's just when the UDF returns the value, it always returns only 255 characters. I guess it's more a behavior of the UDF than it is the actual expression node. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. I will try the idea of the EXPRESS_MAX_STRENGTH_LENGTH. Thanks again.

TonyL_
Fluorite | Level 6

There is also a system macro that you might want to look into.  It's called EXPRESS_MAX_STRING_LENGTH.  This specifies the maximum length of strings declared in expression nodes.  You could trying specifying a value in the .cfg file or in a node at the beginning of your job.  It can be up to 5,242,880 bytes, actually.

So, with this new setting, you could declare a very long string in your expression node as follows:

string(65000) myString

string(100000) myLongStr

I think this might help you as well.  I use it quite frequently.  It's spelled out in the Installation and Configuration guide for the Studio, if you'd like to look into it further.

Tony

DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee

The following page in the Data Management Studio installation guide includes a description of the EXPRESS_MAX_STRING_LENGTH option:

DataFlux(R) Data Management Studio 2.6: Installation and Configuration Guide

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation