BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HigherPurp0se
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, all.

I am a new student learning data science, and have just been introduced to SAS SUE.

In my next course I will be learning about data warehouses.

Does SAS Institute have any data warehouses in a test environment available to us to experiment with and learn on?

What other SAS software toolset must I learn in order to build a data warehouse on a cloud resource such as Azure, AWS or Hadoop?

Thank you for your consideration.

DJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I'm not aware of any SAS sample environments that should reflect a data warehouse.
The main SW in SAS arsenal specific for DW IMO is Data Integration Studio. And that is unfortunately not available in any of the learning editions of SAS. That said, DW is a concept, not SW. Anyone with a data store and scripting/programming environment could build a data warehouse.
Not sure if there is any cloud specific SAS trainings, but knowledge about SAS/ACCESS should come in handy.
Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Data Warehouses are mainly about how to organize your data so they are easy to maintain and access(query). On this level Data Warehouses are agnostic to technology.

Data Warehouses come in many different shapes and sizes so it will depend on what your course will focus on.

But if you're after some SAS file based sample data then Cynthia's answer here might guide you.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/General-SAS-Programming/How-to-access-sample-orion-star-data-files-us...

HigherPurp0se
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you, Patrick.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I'm not aware of any SAS sample environments that should reflect a data warehouse.
The main SW in SAS arsenal specific for DW IMO is Data Integration Studio. And that is unfortunately not available in any of the learning editions of SAS. That said, DW is a concept, not SW. Anyone with a data store and scripting/programming environment could build a data warehouse.
Not sure if there is any cloud specific SAS trainings, but knowledge about SAS/ACCESS should come in handy.
Data never sleeps
HigherPurp0se
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you, LinusH.
AngusLooney
SAS Employee

DI Studio is a tool for building all the processes for ingesting data into (and out of) a DW, and there's nothing inherent in it that takes any particular form or design of DW into account.

I think it's best to think of DIS as an ETL tool - "Extract Transform Load" (as well as some of the conceptual variants of paradigm like ELT.)

I would separate "Data Warehouse design" from "ETL design".

There are definitely a number of "patterns" that would come to mind, in thinking of ETL design - but that's a subject for a longer post.

What I would say is that the primary considerations are about long term cost of ownership and operation of the ETL processes, rather than the minutiae of "DW design".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation