BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
acsb
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! I'm having an issue with my SAS 9.4 sessions encoding my data as if the default were Japanese DBCS (SHIFT-JIS), while my default locale and encoding appear to be set correctly (to en_US and wlatin1) in my configuration file. 

When I run "proc options option=encoding option=locale;" after opening SAS, I get the response:

SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 9.4  TS1M1

ENCODING=SHIFT-JIS

Specifies the default character-set encoding for the SAS session.

LOCALE=JA_JP      Specifies a set of attributes in a SAS session that reflect the language, local conventions, and

culture for a geographical region.

Checking my !SASROOT file "%put sasroot = %sysget(sasroot);" produces C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4, and opening the file sasv9.cfg within that directory, I see the command:

-config "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg".

Traveling to that file, I can see the commands that should set the default, I believe:

-SET SASCFG "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en"

-LOCALE en_US

-ENCODING wlatin1

Can anyone help me with this?  It's such an annoyance.

2 REPLIES 2
acsb
Calcite | Level 5

Solved my own question, or at least I've stopped the default.  Through a process of elimination, I figured out that SAS was loading the config file from a folder called "1d" which set the locale to Japan.  I removed that file, replaced it with the English one and now my default is western. I still don't know why that's where the program decided to pull the config file from, but I'm willing to live with the mystery if I can have western encoding. 

UmaGupta
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

I am facing same issue... Can you elaborate exactly how you resolved it stepwise?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation