BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_Rama
Calcite | Level 5

Hi SAS Team,

I have been running real time service procedure for a while in our current environment 9.4M2 which is Latin-1 Encoding, there were no issues with increase in length from character variable from the output.

We recently upgrading to SAS 9.4 M7 with UTF-8 Encoding, I did notice the real time service procedure is increasing character variables by 4 times, this is leading into some changes to previously developed jobs.

Following images shows the data flux Realtime service job, and calling it using SAS code producing the results in both current and new environment.
Does anyone have an idea with this issue or come across with this one before? Otherwise I can contact SAS Support.

Data Flux Real time Service, input length Name of 150 CharactersData Flux Real time Service, input length Name of 150 Characters

The Parsing Node Separating Name FieldThe Parsing Node Separating Name Field

Current Environment with Latin1 encoding, and its output lengths not changed for Character VariablesCurrent Environment with Latin1 encoding, and its output lengths not changed for Character VariablesNew Environment with Utf-8 encoding, and its output changed by 4 times for Character VariablesNew Environment with Utf-8 encoding, and its output changed by 4 times for Character Variables

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
_Rama
Calcite | Level 5
After few trials, it was found that the dataflux creates varchar as datatype.
SAS environment with UTF-8 , allocates varchar X 4 bytes for storage character data.

Testing
Data test;
Length x varchar(1);/*I tested to something like this*/
X='A';
Run;

Proc contents data=test;
Run;

Along with placing target node to dataflux job identified it's varchar data type for character data.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
_Rama
Calcite | Level 5
After few trials, it was found that the dataflux creates varchar as datatype.
SAS environment with UTF-8 , allocates varchar X 4 bytes for storage character data.

Testing
Data test;
Length x varchar(1);/*I tested to something like this*/
X='A';
Run;

Proc contents data=test;
Run;

Along with placing target node to dataflux job identified it's varchar data type for character data.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation