BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Quentin
Super User

On a BI server using SAS Management Console to schedule LSF flows, is it possible to specify a time limit for execution a job or flow? 

I have some nightly flows that hang on occassion.  I don't have a root cause for the hang yet (suspect network problems / remote database connections).  I would like to be able to set an option that says "If this job/flow runs for longer than X minutes, kill it." 

Currently when a job hangs it just sits there with a status of running, and the next night's run does not start, and since I can't kill the job myself (sadly I don't have rights), I have to put in a ticket to get an admin to kill it.  So life would be easier if when we created the flow they just specified a run time limit which would automatically kill the job. 

I think it's a stripped down version of LSF that comes with EBI server.  Not sure if this is possible?

Thx.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The Kill option in LSF Process Manager - is it grayed out for you or does it just not work?

Quentin
Super User

It's grayed out.  For this server, I don't actually own the flows, so I can't kill them.

The workflow is that I create a DI job, and then deploy the job, then put in a ticket for an admin to create the flow and schedule it.  Since I don't own the flow, I can't kill it.

The other down side of this approach is that the SAS job doesn't run as me, it runs as some service account they use for scheduling.  I can't even trigger a flow.  So it's not ideal for me as a developer, but it's not my server.  Maybe if I keep putting in enough tickets to kill hung jobs, they'll give me access to the service account. : )

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

My user account is defined as an LSF admin account and I can kill other users jobs. Maybe you could request that.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation