BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
Is this a new Forum?

How do we get a new forum group, I have requested in the past a Admin forum but the last response was that the forums were being upgraded and no new forums were being added. Seeing this new forum I assume this is not the case.

So, Forum Administrator, Please can we have a SAS Admin Forum that is specific to Admin and configuration of the SAS products.

Thanks in Advance

Barry
12 REPLIES 12
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Hi,

I would definitely second that request for a SAS platform admin related forum 🙂

Cheers
Paul
http://platformadmin.com/
reneeharper
SAS Employee
Hi Barry,
You are correct that we had planned to update the forums to correct issues with including code segments. That didn't work out quite as we planned, but we are still looking at some updates.

This forum as been in the works for a long time. As you may know, SAS likes to have employee sponsors for each forum to help get them started. The sponsors for the DI forum were ready to go, and I didn't want to delay it any more. We had clear direction on what customers wanted from DI. You guys can help us by adding more detail to your request for an Administration forum. What should it contain? What is the primary focus?

Look for updates in the blog post at http://blogs.sas.com/supportnews/index.php?/archives/148-New-Forum-Focuses-on-Data-Integration.html
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
In Regards to

"Update: Some of you have indicated in the discussion forums that you are hoping for a SAS Administration discussion forum. Can you tell me more about what you expect to see? A focus on installation and deployment, on metadata adminstration, something else? "

Any Admin Forum would be good, but focus on all admin type questions which could involve Installation, Deployment, Maintanence Upgrades, hotfixes, metadata Admin such as Security... So would say a bucket that covers most stuff that is covered (but not limited to) in any of the Admin courses ie PAFAST etc

Regards Barry Message was edited by: twocanbazza
deleted_user
Not applicable
Agree with Barry it can go far, I'd like to see some best practices type of posts. I'm on an UNIX platform and a lot of what works in UNIX doesn't apply to Windows.

Administration boils down to configuration and maintence most of the time, what would be helpful are some sub-forums, for the different O.S.'es best practices (that can even break out for flavors of UNIX),

An upgrade forum, I ran into tons of trouble when migrating to 9.2 by myself so it would have helped to have a place dedicated to that, which is where administrators find a lot of difficulty.

kernel changes and sas configuration settings that work in my environment may not work in yours, but they can be good ideas of where to start, so that's the type of information that may be more useful.

SAS Documents how to use it's products incredibly well, but there are a few products where installation is a bit hazy, so installation of additional software may be a third. These are all the things I can think of that an administrator gets challenged with that aren't clearly defined in documentation, because well, the answer is always "it depends".

It goes without saying that any information in a forum has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it's nice to have a place where peers can gather, and SAS Administrators are a very small group... we may just need a place to share war stories of some of the worst practices we've seen.
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The topics that Barry and Gordon have mentioned sound spot on. I think an admin forum would also be good to discuss and share practices and experiences relating to:
* architecture related topics like fault tolerance, high availability, grid etc.
* environment management: metadata promotion, change control practices, backup/restore strategies
* enterprise directory integration: discussions around authentication and user/group metadata synchronization with Active Directory, OpenLDAP etc
* mid-tier 3rd party software: deploying and managing SAS web applications in JBoss, WebSphere, WebLogic etc. Web single-sign-on, reverse proxies and so on.

I imagine a number of admin related topics might revolve around 3rd party products like JBoss, WebSphere, WebLogic, Active Directory etc. As 3rd party products there is no expectation of SAS Institute support for them, however I think a community based support forum where they can be discussed in relation to their specific use in support of SAS installations would be most useful. I also think it would be good to have a dedicated admin forum to keep these types of posts out of the other pure SAS product forums where they might not be so appropriate or useful for the readers of those forums.
ShaneGibson_OptimalBI
Fluorite | Level 6
I agree with everybody else.

At the the moment you have to troll all the other forums to find any admin advice.

Also when posting its unclear which one to use as Admin questions often span multiple SAS products.

Lastly with the SAS PA Fast course we finally have a way to train SAS Administrators up, a forum would let them share their experience and advice.
All,

We've heard you on your requests for a SAS Administration forum. I've put this in motion and we're hoping to kick it off in conjunction with the release of our new web-based administration client, planned for later this year. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Tim Stearn
SAS Product Management
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to the new forum ... and the new web based admin client - sounds very interesting.

Cheers
Paul
acfarrer
Quartz | Level 8
There is an existing Forum:SAS®9 Metadata and Security Administration administered by Diane Hatcher which fell into disuse but still has some useful information. It may have been available on request.
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
I had heard about this, but no-one could tell me how to register/request access...
That forum is inactive right now. We're planning to launch a new forum covering these same topics this year.

Tim Stearn
SAS Product Manager
reneeharper
SAS Employee

Yay.  The new admin forum is live.  It focuses on

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation