BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Quentin
Super User

Is there an easy way to view the commands (i.e. SAS invocations) used in a flow to invoke each job?

So if I have deployed JobA and JobB, and then created MyFlow and scheduled it, where I can I see the commands that invoke each SAS session?   e.g.:

/sas/.../sasbatch.sh -batch -noterminal -sysin /sas/.../Jobs/JobA.sas

/sas/.../sasbatch.sh -batch -noterminal -sysin /sas/.../Jobs/JobB.sas

If I open a flow in SMC (9.3) and go to dependencies, I can see the information I want in the EVENT column, but it's very narrow, not selectable.  (It will show almost the whole string when I hover).

If I open a flow in Flow Manager (the version that came with SAS, which I think isn't the full flow manager perhaps?) I can see the value in "Command to Run", but it's greyed out and won't even show the full value on hover.

If I individually open the deployed jobs in DI Studio (9.3), I can see (and select, which is good!) the command under scheduling details.  Is there some way to see this information for all the jobs in a single flow? 

I suppose a workaround is to export the flow, unzip the .spk, and get it from there, looks like it's in the <JobCmdLine> field.  But when I want to take a quick look at a flow, seems like there should be an easier way.

Thanks!

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I can't help you with the Flow Manager part (haven't access to it).
But I guess that you could write a program with metadata function calls to get what you want.
May I wonder what you need this for?
Isn't the idea of metadata and UI that you shouldn't care about these physical things unless you are into detailed trouble shooting?
Data never sleeps
Quentin
Super User

Yeah, I guess it's for detailed troubleshooting steps (or just curiousity).  Understand that the idea of Metadata is not to worry about this stuff (or leave it to the SAS administrator to worry about).  But coming to this from the perspective of SAS batch programmer, it's nice to be able to see what is happening behind the scenes, and sometimes can help anticipate as well as troubleshoot.  (e.g. what options are passed on the invocation string, did something change in the invocation, etc).  Particularly when working in different environments, with different setups.

I realized in SAS management cosole if I right-click and edit a flow, it brings up a flow chart view which shows the jobs and any dependencies.  And if I right-click the job from that I get a dialog box that includes the command to run.  So I think this will suffice for my need.

To be honest, so far my flows have only had a single SAS job.  So partly I wanted to do this just to confirm that if I make a Flow with two different SAS jobs, that they really are two independent SAS sessions.  Happy to see that is true.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Yes that's true.
And I'm you think that's a good thing. I've seen implementations where they put job in job in DI Studio. Imagine scanning through those logs...Finding restart points etc...
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation