BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I've used the following code to convert the date to the format date7. But after executing the code I'm receiving value as *******.

Variable  feemisio is a datevalue which has informats datetime23. Example: 21FEB2018:16:54:00

proc print data=temp;
format feemisio date7.;
run;

Appreciate if someone of you help me to resolve the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Again, you must separate the concept of data values and formats.
What @Kurt_Bremser says is that you need to change the data value before you can apply the format required.
You don't need a user written transformation. You need to use a mapping expression like the datepart function. Can be used in many transformations like Table Loader, Extract and SQL Join.
Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I guess you have already been told this repeatedly.

You cannot use a date format on a datetime value.

The reason being that datetime values are a count of seconds from 1960-01-01T00:00:00, while date values are a count of days from 1960-01-01.

So, for any given date, the datetime is 86400 * date!

If you want to convert a datetime value to a date value, use the datepart() function in the same step where you assign the date format.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

How I can deal this in SAS DI studio without using user written transformation? Will it works if I change only the format for the variable under mapping tab?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Again, you must separate the concept of data values and formats.
What @Kurt_Bremser says is that you need to change the data value before you can apply the format required.
You don't need a user written transformation. You need to use a mapping expression like the datepart function. Can be used in many transformations like Table Loader, Extract and SQL Join.
Data never sleeps
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If I understand correctly, I need to use the expression like datepart(feemisio) under mapping tab of the target table for the respective variable. Then I will change the format to date7. under format column of the respective variable.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you want to display just the date part of a datetime value you can use the DTDATE format.

PS. Don't use width of 7. Use a width of 9 (or 11) so that you can see the century part of the year.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
My requirement is see the date values in date7. Format and I have to do
this manipulation in DI Studio.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
The best way to verify your understanding is to try it out!
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation