BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ginak
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have used proc surveylogistic and ods output to extract information from my analysis so that I may manipulate my output into a nice, clean dataset to print out. However, I'm having trouble extracting string.

I have something like this *see the picture attached called "effect.JPG"*

I want to split that column up into 2, where I have it look like the 2 columns in "effect WANT.JPG"*

How can I do this?  I need a combination of substr, index, COMPBL, scan etc. functions and I'm not sure. I was able to get the first column, call it "variable," by doing this:

spaceplace = index(effect, ' ');
variable= substr(effect,1,spaceplace);

However, I need help getting the class level name (labeled as "Level of CLASS Variable for 1 Variable" in the effect2 WANT.JPG file). Basically, what I need to do is to extract the string that comes after the first word, first spaces, but is before the "[trailing blanks] vs [string]"

How can I tell sas to give me the word that comes right before the "vs" string? I tried to write out a code for you guys to play around with, but it is not working 100% for me 😞 But maybe you can modify this?

data one;
input name $1-100;
cards;
'race6            1 Am. Indian   vs 7 White'
'race6            2 Asian        vs 7 White'
'marital2         1 Single                     vs 4 Married'
'lengthdeployment 1 Less than 1 month vs 6 I did not deploy in the past 12 months'
;

data two;
set one;
spaceplace = index(effect, ' ');
variable = substr(effect,1,spaceplace);

*The above two lines gave me my variable column and it worked in my main code. Not sure if it'll work here though;

*This is my closest attempt to getting it. but it is still wrong and gives me the vs [text] for some of them:;

vsplace = index(effect, ' vs ');

CLASSNAME3 = COMPBL(strip(substr(effect, spaceplace, vsplace-5)));

run;

proc print;
run;

So in my case, I'd want to have classname3 look like this

1 Am. Indian
2 Asian
1 Single
1 Less than 1 month 

I think it'd just be easier to look at my "effect2 want.jpg" to see what I am trying to achieve.

Many thanks for your help. Yes, I have looked through the message boards for similar searches but am still having trouble. I hope you're having a nice 4th of July!

Best,
Gina

effect.JPGeffect2 WANT.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I love playing with character functions!

See if this moves the yardsticks for you:

Tom

data one;

infile cards dlm='09'x;

length name $100;

input name;

cards;

race6 1 Am. Indian vs 7 White

race6 2 Asian vs 7 White

marital2 1 Single vs 4 Married

lengthdeployment 1 Less than 1 month vs 6 I did not deploy in the past 12 months

run;

data want(drop=_:);

length variable classname3 _RemainderOfString $100;

set one;

variable = scan(name, 1, " "); /* Get the first word, blank delimited */

_FirstBlank = find(name, " "); /* Find the first blank */

_RemainderOfString = strip(substr(name, _FirstBlank)); /* Get everything after the first word, and strip out leading blanks */

_RemainderOfString = tranwrd(_RemainderOfString, ' vs ', '09'x); /* Turn all instances of blank followed by "vs" followed by blank into a tab character */

classname3 = scan(_RemainderOfString, 1, '09'x); /* Get the first work, tab delimited */

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

Here is one way:

data one; 
  infile cards truncover;
input name $1-100; 
cards;
race6            1 Am. Indian   vs 7 White
race6            2 Asian        vs 7 White
marital2         1 Single                     vs 4 Married
;

data want (drop=name x);;
  set one;
  variable=scan(name,1);
  name=left(substr(name,length(variable)+1));
  x=index(name,'vs');
  level=strip(substr(name,1,x-1));
  output;
  level=substr(name,x+2);
  output;
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I love playing with character functions!

See if this moves the yardsticks for you:

Tom

data one;

infile cards dlm='09'x;

length name $100;

input name;

cards;

race6 1 Am. Indian vs 7 White

race6 2 Asian vs 7 White

marital2 1 Single vs 4 Married

lengthdeployment 1 Less than 1 month vs 6 I did not deploy in the past 12 months

run;

data want(drop=_:);

length variable classname3 _RemainderOfString $100;

set one;

variable = scan(name, 1, " "); /* Get the first word, blank delimited */

_FirstBlank = find(name, " "); /* Find the first blank */

_RemainderOfString = strip(substr(name, _FirstBlank)); /* Get everything after the first word, and strip out leading blanks */

_RemainderOfString = tranwrd(_RemainderOfString, ' vs ', '09'x); /* Turn all instances of blank followed by "vs" followed by blank into a tab character */

classname3 = scan(_RemainderOfString, 1, '09'x); /* Get the first work, tab delimited */

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation