BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
garfield
Fluorite | Level 6

Some of our users are getting the error:

The ODBC engine cannot be found.

Error in the LIBNAME statement.

The also get the same error when trying to use the TeraData engine as well.

I've checked their installations and confirmed that they have both the licenses needed to use these engines as well as the .dll files required.  We have a standard installation for SAS so my thought is that their SAS installation isn't the issue here, and that it's possibly something else on their computer. 

Any suggestions on what could be causing this issue? 

5 REPLIES 5
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I would try the following:

1. I am aware that you have confirmed the license, but this will only take you 10 secs. Make sure ODBC/Teradata SAS ACCESS components both LICENSED and INSTALLED.

proc setinit;run; /*license*/

proc product_status;run;/*Installation*/

2. Make sure all the computers have ODBC/Teradata driver installed and configured correctly.

This link is for ODBC, but Teradata goes the similar way:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/odbcdref/64777/PDF/default/odbcdref.pdf

Haikuo

garfield
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the response Hai.kuo, you were right I hadn't verified installation.

When I run PROC PRODUCT_STATUS on their machine the only component I receive information back on is Base Product.

They seem to have all of the proper components installed, at least when I look through the Program Files folder.  Is this just a case of SAS not seeing this and there is a way to update it or will SAS need to be re installed?

We had IT reinstall it on another machine that seemed to be having the same issue (I haven't looked at that machine so I can't be certain) but that didn't resolve that user's issue so that's why I ask.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You did not mention the machine-type. It is different for Windows/Unix. As you are mentioning Teradata the case with a mainframe connection goes completely different.

The latest versions of SAS are using a deployment registry reporting the installed components. It is a folder where the information can be reported using a java program.

The odbc driver is standard at Windows but must be selected and installed separately at Unix.

The Teradata client is on the TD installation and must be installed separately and configured and checked using SAS.

I do not know what your IT staff has done. It look they have type setup .... that was it. By that missing the most of the requirements.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
garfield
Fluorite | Level 6

It's a Windows machine.  I believe all the syntax is correct because I use the same syntax on my machine to connect to those databases.  I can also confirm they are able to connect to those databases on their computer through other programs besides SAS.

The issue seems to be that the products aren't properly installed.  My question is, is there someway to get SAS to see the files (which I believe are present) or is a re install required?

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Shouldn't have to reinstall. But you do need to ask IT to add in this missing component to the existing installation, using SAS Deployment manager.

Good Luck,

Haikuo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation