BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dtjon
Calcite | Level 5

I'm comparing 2 tables with the Compare Tables transformation in Data Integration Studio.

The source table ia a SQL Server table. The comparison table is an Oracle table.

The match key is the ID column (primary key in both tables). With this I can find new records to insert.

In the section "Compare columns" I select all other fields to compare. With this I can find changed records that I want to update in the Oracle table.

My problem is that the "Compare columns" always mark ALL RECORDS as changed. I think it's because of null values (=missing values). The comparison sees a null values in the SQL Server table as different from a null value in the Oracle table.

As a test I have loaded both tables into a physical SAS dataset an compare both SAS datasets. But the result is still: all records differ.

So how to solve the problem of comparing a SQL Server table with an Oracle table containing null values?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dtjon
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your advice Linus.

I compared 1 records between the table in SQL Server and Oracle in HEX./$HEX.

The HEX comparison showed no difference, but the transformation incorrectly marked the record as 'changed'.

Then I excluded the columns containing null values in the comparison.

Still the transformation marked the record incorrectly as changed.

So the null values were not the cause for marking the records as 'changed'.

The next step was debugging by comparing the columns one by one.

The result from debugging was that this comparison is the cause of incorrect marking as 'changed':

Sql Server column WERKVOORRAADSPECIALARRANGEMENTS

compared with …

Oracle WERKVRDSPECIALARRANGEMENTS

In my EXTRACT transformation I changed target column name WERKVOORRAADSPECIALARRANGEMENTS (31 characters) into WERKVRDSPECIALARRANGEMENTS (26 characters), and ... now the compare mark the record correctly as 'unchanged'.

So this is definately a bug within DI Studio.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I default NULL behaviour is in place, they would be stored as MISSING in SAS. If this is the same from both sources, there is no difference. So it's probably something else that differs/happens. Try the HEX./$HEX. formats to see what is actually in those columns.

Then I wonder about the "Compare tables" transformation, I've never used it. If you need to find out what records to update/insert you would be fine with Table Loader or SCD Type 2 Loader transformations.

Data never sleeps
dtjon
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your advice Linus.

I compared 1 records between the table in SQL Server and Oracle in HEX./$HEX.

The HEX comparison showed no difference, but the transformation incorrectly marked the record as 'changed'.

Then I excluded the columns containing null values in the comparison.

Still the transformation marked the record incorrectly as changed.

So the null values were not the cause for marking the records as 'changed'.

The next step was debugging by comparing the columns one by one.

The result from debugging was that this comparison is the cause of incorrect marking as 'changed':

Sql Server column WERKVOORRAADSPECIALARRANGEMENTS

compared with …

Oracle WERKVRDSPECIALARRANGEMENTS

In my EXTRACT transformation I changed target column name WERKVOORRAADSPECIALARRANGEMENTS (31 characters) into WERKVRDSPECIALARRANGEMENTS (26 characters), and ... now the compare mark the record correctly as 'unchanged'.

So this is definately a bug within DI Studio.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

God that you found the cause.

If you think it's a bug report it to SAS tech support.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation