BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mal
Calcite | Level 5 mal
Calcite | Level 5

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to use a macro for a datasource name. I've defined it under Administration > Macro Files, and I can use it successfully with other nodes, such as a SQL Query node. In an Expression node, though, it doesn't work. I've tried the two ways the Expression Language Guide suggests:

1) DSN = %%dsn_name%%

2) DSN = "%%dsn_name%%"   // with quotes

2) DSN = getvar("dsn_name")

# 1 does not validate

# 2,3 validates, but results in the same error: "Data source name not found and no default driver specified..."

I'm using DM Studio 2.6.

Thanks,

mark

2 REPLIES 2
RonAgresta
SAS Employee

Your expression code will look something like this:

string macro1
macro1 = getvar("MyMacro")

where MyMacro was defined in a macros file. A few things to check:

• Have you used a "saved connection" with your DSN? This will have an impact on how you refer to your DSN in your macro. Using saved connections will reduce the DSN to just a name where not using them will mean you likely need to include additional information in your macro to refer to the database. Look at the advanced property of a node with a database connection and notice the difference when you do and do not use a saved connection.
  • Is a schema involved? In some nodes they are represented by a different property. Your DSN macro in your expression code may only be part of what you need to connect when you build the connection string for the dbconnect object.

Ron

mal
Calcite | Level 5 mal
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Ron,

Thanks so much!  I will try this out.

- mark

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation