BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jrmathieu
Fluorite | Level 6

We have the new SAS/Access configured and able to access a test database provided by Snowflake.  This access is leveraging username and password for authentication.

Our company is planning on using SSO (SAML) authentication to Snowflake but have not seen any documentation on how to configure this authentication method for a Linux environment.

Is this specific to the drivers provided by Snowflake?

Has anyone configure this type of access?

Thanks,

JOHN MATHIEU
Sr Data Engineer – SAS Administrator

8 REPLIES 8
billjillnelson8
Calcite | Level 5
WE have the same question.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Since there has been no response, a SAS Tech Support track for this question is a better option.

jrmathieu
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is the response I received from SAS TS.

It appears SAS does not provide must support it relates to the OS and third party drivers.

This is why The Hartford is planning to migrate from SAS within the next 4 years.

I received confirmation that these options should be supported as DSN options (which is expected). Unfortunately we do not have the authentication built into the engine options at this time. The CONOPTS is the best bet, but I haven't had a chance to test it for myself yet.

In general, the way I like to think about the authentication is that it is primarily handled outside of SAS. It is a method configured at the system level and SAS only needs to be pointed to it with the relevant options. So in short, so long as the authentication is working outside of SAS it should have no issues in SAS. However this also limits how much documentation we typically maintain since its not a SAS process.

Note that I have experienced issues trying to construct a defined DSN connection to our Snowflake private link using our DataDirect ODBC manager.  We must leverage DataDirect since we have this ODBC manager and driver defined for SQL Server already.  Only one odbc.ini file can be referenced.

Currently our connections can only be supported using DSN less connections, which it appears to the method that SAS mainly implemented for Snowflake.

With the cost of these connectors and the lack of true support, I will expect other companies will be abandoning SAS soon.

pchegoor1
Fluorite | Level 6

Did you ever find a solution to this question? Just curious to know.

Thanks.

Carus
SAS Employee

In case anyone is browsing this later, SAS Viya supports single signon using Azure AD and OAuth:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_040/acreldb/n13zmhmguddratn1kfgyzsjyz2n3.htm?fro...

eddieleung305
Obsidian | Level 7

I just want to know if any technology update regarding SAS9M7, M8 and SAS/ACCESS to Snowflake in supporting SSO to access Snowflake DB host.

Assuming Windows ID on AzureAD

rhmthomson1
SAS Employee

We dont support SSO with Snowflake in SAS 9, only in Viya 4

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here's a link to the Snowflake single signon doc in Viya. The SAS 9.4 Snowflake doc does not include single signon.  

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation