BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
needle
SAS Employee

Global Variables in SAS Real-Time Decision Manager are a great way to control campaign logic without deploying new versions of a campaign. There are many use cases for them, including setting threshold values, enabling/disabling parts of your campaign logic and turning on/off offers among other things.

You create Global Variables in SAS Customer Intelligence Studio in the Definitions workspace. You need to select a data type, provide a value and can optionally associate your Global Variable with an Identifier. Once you've created the Global Variable, you can reference it in your campaigns.

In your campaign, you can use for example a branch node, which checks the value of the Global Variable. Using this method, you can turn on/off parts of your campaign based on the value. You could also use your Global Variables as a threshold value. For example, you might want to make an offer to customers with a model score above a certain value. This value might change over time and without Global Variables, you would have to deploy a new version of your campaign if the threshold changes (and you're using literal values in your campaign).

The great thing about Global Variables, is that their value can be changed once they've been deployed to the SASDSEngineRepository. You change their value through the Decision Services plug-in in SAS Management Console. You'll find them under Environment Management > Decision Services Manager > SAS Decision Services servers > SASDSEngineServer > SASDSEngineRepository > Global variables. Right-click on a Global Variable and choose "Set Value". Changing the value is immediate and affects all campaigns referencing the Global Variable.

What different things have you accomplished in your Real-Time Decision Manager campaigns by using Global Variables?

6 REPLIES 6
shill
SAS Employee
I also think they're good for a time-delayed activation of certain pieces of logic. Just create a date global variable for the date/time on which you want it to take effect, and use a split node to direct decision flows one way until the appropriate time, then it will flip over to the new way.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

4everStudent
Fluorite | Level 6

Can this global variable also be employed in CI?

needle
SAS Employee

@4everStudent: if you're referring to MA/MO with CI then the answer is no. Global Variables are strictly an RTDM thing. In MA you could essentially accomplish the same by referring to any data item. Change the value of that data item in your datastore and subsequent campaigns would use the same value.

dsadsad
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi ,

Can the global variable values be updated in any other way apart from using Decision Services manager plugin in SMC ?

I have around 20 global variables and i need to update in 2 sites (Prod and DR) as my site is active/active.i observed it takes little bit time through SMC to update and also one global variable at a time.

Can we achieve this through SAS code or in any other way? 

Best Regards,

Nag

JamesAnderson
SAS Employee
Hi Nag,
If you are using RTDM 6.4 or higher there is an API to do this - SAS Decision Services Administration API. This is a REST JSON API that you can using for scripting and automation of changing many things, including the values for Global Variables. The details of this API are in the RTDM Administration Guide.
Regards
James
dsadsad
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks James. Will check and try that. 

How to improve email deliverability

SAS' Peter Ansbacher shows you how to use the dashboard in SAS Customer Intelligence 360 for better results.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation