BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dionwisn
Calcite | Level 5

Hello board members, 

Im new to the sas community and would like some insight regarding the sas certification process. Im currently stuck in career path that offers little growth potential but would like to bolster my skill sets by adding a sas certification. Some insight into my career goals and backgroud -  My objective is to migrate into data mining via a hospital or retailing firm without having to complete additional schooling. Q1. What certfications are currently in high demand, and which ones are recommended in order to become certified in big data analytics?

Q2. Can one study the texts and materials provided online without actually taking professional coursework? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Blessings 

Dion 

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Does your current position use SAS? Do you have programming experience in SAS or another language already?

Honestly, I don't look for certification, it's a nice to have, but it wouldn't get you an interview over another candidate.  HR may take a different view. 

dionwisn
Calcite | Level 5
Hi, 
My current position does not use big data. My goal is to use this along with my MBA to bridge into IT, healthcare, and the like. Are you advising to not get the cert with the sole purpose or using it as an entry into a new career path? 
Reeza
Super User

Big data is relative. Are you working with SAS at all? Or another programming language?

dionwisn
Calcite | Level 5
I am not working with big data. im interested in leveraging my experience with this cert to begin a new career path. 
##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no attachments. 
Reeza
Super User

Will a certification alone get you hired. At a junior level, perhaps, but experience outweighs certification. 

The question becomes how do you convey experiece with just a certification. 

Good Luck. 

Reeza
Super User

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation