BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ferlopz298
Calcite | Level 5

I realize I need a lot of practice in SAS University to really learn code. I am practicing daily and it is starting to sink in. I really don't want to keep buying books although I will pay for the practice exam to help prepare me for the base exam. I need help from an experienced SAS user who owns the Ron Cody book, "Learning SAS by Example A Programmer's Guide". My main question is what chapters specfically will help prepare me for the base exam? I plan on reading the entire book and practicing the programs in each chapter. I will also answer the problems at the end of each chapter but don't want to waste any additonal time with chapters that may not apply to the base exam. I am trying to get my SAS base certification 4 months from now, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Purchase a Safari online subscription - many of the books are available on there electronically. 

If you're affiliated with a University they may have access to this service, or your public library may as well.

Otherwise, I would suggest you purchase the SAS BaseCertification Guide and work through that instead. I also find it a great desktop reference book. 

IMO, 'practicing questions' daily won't help your programming skills, knowing how to do something is important, knowing when you need to actually do said things is the difference between actually understanding what you're doing and is a different skill set learned through experience. Books won't give you that experience. A well laid out course may, but work experience is still vital. 

The first SAS Programming course is free, if you haven't completed this yet. 

I'll move this to the SAS certification forum and you can review other peoples questions in either SAS Certification/Training/Analytics U for suggestions on learning SAS.

Mark2010
SAS Employee

Exam Content Guide. The certification web page has an exam content guide for each exam, telling you exactly what will be covered on the exam. For Base, it is here: https://www.sas.com/en_us/certification/exam-content-guides/base-programming.html. Print the pdf version, tuck it into your copy of Ron's book (Although Reeza's suggestion to go with the Cert Prep Guide makes more sense if you haven't bought Ron's yet). Then cross reference the chapters in the book to the content guide. For example, you will find that Ron's coverage of REPORT and TABULATE procedures, and introductions to macro, SQL, and graphs don't apply. Watch out for holes too where the content guide material may not be covered.

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation