BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Labran
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone,

I am new in this community and I am a toddler in SAS. 

I am willing to write the SAS Base Programming Certification soon but I have challenges.

Currently trying to solve some SAS prep questions but I got 6 observations (all missing) with the two original variables from the SAS (input13.sas7bdat) dataset provided with the program below. Could anyone kindly help me fix the problem? 

Thanks.

***********************************************************************************

libname programs '/folders/myfolders/cert/programs';

data programs.output13;
infile '/folders/myfolders/cert/input/input13.sas7bdat';
input date charnum;
informat charnum dollar7.;
format date date9.;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

You don't use infile to read a sas data set, you use infile for text files. 

libname input '/folders/myfolders/cert/input';

data output13;
set input.input13;
format date date9.;
run;

I'm not exactly sure why you'd be writing/saving SAS data sets to your programs folder either, that doesn't make a ton of sense IMO.  My suggestion would echo @Mark2010 to first take the full training courses to learn SAS effectively and then consider taking the certification exams when you're more prepared. SAS is not similar to R/Python so there may be a learning curve even if you do have prior programming experience. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Mark2010
SAS Employee

@Labran,

There is fair amount wrong with the code below (you don't need infile/input to read a sas data set, only a set statement). I think certification and the practice exam should take a back burner for the moment and take some time with SAS training. I would start with the Programming 1 eLearning, available for free.

Labran
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks @Mark2010 for your contribution. I have attended training in SAS but I still mix things up. I will appreciate if you can suggest resources that would aid my understanding of the programming language. Thank you.

Mark2010
SAS Employee

The suggested preparation materials are listed on the credential web page.

There are a ton of tutorial videos on our training page and YouTube SAS Users Channel. (scroll down the training page for links).

Labran
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks @Mark2010 . The information you provided proved to be useful. 

Reeza
Super User

The first training course covers topics such as the SAS library and how to access data sets.

I would suggest re-taking it. Scroll half way down the page to the Free SAS training (not the 30 day ones)

https://www.sas.com/en_us/training/offers/free-training.html

If you read through this and understand it all, you'll pass the exam. Yes, it's long.

https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.3&docsetId=basess&docsetTarget=title...

The Little SAS Book is another really good set of exercises to practice. 

https://www.amazon.com/Little-SAS-Book-Primer-Sixth-ebook/dp/B07Z7B5PZ6/ref=rtpb_4/143-6979487-64099...

I've compiled a list of mostly free resources here for specific topics. 

https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Base_Certification_Resource_Guide.md

And you can always search lexjansen.com for papers on specific topics. I suggest looking at the guide for the certification and ensuring you understand every topic listed and if not, do a deep dive using one of the above resources.

Labran
Fluorite | Level 6

So much appreciation, @Reeza . I will go through the resources. Thank you.

Reeza
Super User

You don't use infile to read a sas data set, you use infile for text files. 

libname input '/folders/myfolders/cert/input';

data output13;
set input.input13;
format date date9.;
run;

I'm not exactly sure why you'd be writing/saving SAS data sets to your programs folder either, that doesn't make a ton of sense IMO.  My suggestion would echo @Mark2010 to first take the full training courses to learn SAS effectively and then consider taking the certification exams when you're more prepared. SAS is not similar to R/Python so there may be a learning curve even if you do have prior programming experience. 

Labran
Fluorite | Level 6

Whao! This is so simple and works absolutely fine. Thanks a million.

I have had training on SAS but I had a rough ride because I am new in programming. Although SAS may be tricky, It is interesting. I will appreciate your advice on what resources I need to go through to understand the programming language.

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation