BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TommyTea
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am looking to break into the world of SAS which I know is very broad. I am preparing for the  BASE SAS 9 Certification. I am looking more towards a support role such as a SAS programmer.

All I have is a Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an AACSB accredited university which is obviously unrelated.

So how much would the SAS certifications help me if I have no related degree, or programming experience as of yet?

All advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Tommy

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

It helps to show your strengths and get you past HR likely. A manager will be able to tease out your skill set, but its easier to hire for subject matter expertise, programmers can be trained. 

Having an accounting background can be useful as a programmer, so it's not a skill set that will hold you back. It does make entry a touch harder, but once you're over that hurdle its more of a level playing field.

In general, the best way to show you know is to demonstrate it, either presentations at your local SAS user group, Global Forum, or even a well written blog that contains information on SAS.

This series of post doesn't fully apply since you're interested in the technical end, not the statistical end, but it may provide some information:

https://www.dataquest.io/blog/build-a-data-science-portfolio/

Pick a problem that's common in accounting and show how you could use SAS to get around this. Maybe some sample calculators for financial payments for example? And a final report - ie if I make x dollars what can I afford for housing. Based on parameters could you generate a standard report for a user, what interest rate is the highest they can afford, the largest house, and how more mortgage will affect their payment. I"m making this up as I type, so it may not be as coherent as possible, but hopefully you get the idea. 

Good Luck!

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

You may also be interested in attending or get the recording of an upcoming webinar on Feb 8th 11am ET "Getting Started with SAS Certification"

There is a FAQ session in the agenda and you could also post your specific questions during the live event.

You may find this resource useful http://blogs.sas.com/content/academic/2016/10/20/learn-sas-on-your-own-time-with-these-simple-steps/

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
ballardw
Super User

Roles in analytics are about skill sets. Since there is a lot of accounting type data out there to analyze then I do not see any "mismatch" between the degree and the certification if that is the type of jobs you apply for. You might have less success if applying for work with medical data or other dissimilar field but we all face that to some degree.

A BA in Underwater Basket Weaving would present more of a challenge...

Reeza
Super User

@ballardw One of our analysts has a degree in art history and then retrained as an analyst. The latest degree is what matter most.

TommyTea
Fluorite | Level 6
@Reeza how did they retrain? Did they get a relevant bachelor's or just get certs?
Reeza
Super User

In this case I think it was a Masters on top a bachelors.

Not sure how you get into the program or what that required 🙂

There are data analysis certificate programs that are different than say a SAS Base certified.

University of Washington has the Data Science certificate program that is highly respected. 

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation