--------10-------20-------30
chair,,table
chair,couch,table

The following SAS program is submitted:

data stock;
infile 'furniture' dsd;
input item1 $ item2 $ item3 $;
run;

Which one of the following is the value of the variable named ITEM2 in the second observation of the output data set?

A. table
B. ,table
C. . (missing numeric value)
D. ' ' (missing character value)

*************************************************************************************************

My answer is couch. but this not in options.

Can anyone tell me what is the option for this. It was a sample question and people are giving different answers.

Kindly help. Smiley Happy

14 REPLIES 14
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Instead of just us telling you why don't you create a file as shown and then run the data step to see what you get. Then try to figure out why. You'll always learn more that way than by being simply told the answer....

Ksharp
Super User
Maybe the question is :
named ITEM2 in the FIRST observation................

ab12nov
Obsidian | Level 7

Respected Sir,

Did the same already, hence my answer was couch. But it was not in options and the comments were option A.

Just wanted to ask if I've commited some mistake anywhere.

data stock;
infile 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\SAS\sas.csv' dsd;
run;

Did the above code and called the attached file output is : couch. Let me know if I'm wrong or the question.

Thanks.

Ksharp
Super User
I get the same answer as yours.

data stock;
infile cards dsd;
cards;
chair,,table
chair,couch,table
;
run;

Reeza
Super User

What is the source of the question? The SAS Certification guide? If so, what page/chapter?

ab12nov
Obsidian | Level 7
this is on the blog. Not certification guide
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I found the blog you mention.  It's not a SAS-supplied site, and the questions there are (probably) not coming from SAS materials.  If the question/answer there are incorrect, it could be a mistake -- but we don't have a way to verify the intent of that publisher or to make any correction to that material.

However, you can find a bevy of recent materials -- much of this for free -- from the SAS Certification site.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Reeza
Super User

caveat emptor. Try the SAS certification guide for some more relevant questions.

beccagre
SAS Moderator

Hello,

I could not agree more with Chris Hemedinger's reply to your question.  I work in the Certification group and always try to emphasize the importance of looking at the materials we provide out on our web site.  If you go to the link Chris provided in his response, you will be able to download a complete, detailed, exam objective outline.  This provides tremendous detail on what is covered on the exam.  We provide this for all of our exams.  In addition, there is a link to sample questions.  These are all FREE.  We also provide a complete practice exam that is similar in structure and difficulty level to the live exam.  There is a charge for this exam but it is not exorbitant and I believe it is a good investment as part of your complete study strategy.  Full explanations are provided for each of the exam items on the practice exam. 

The SAS Certification Community is sponsoring a FREE Webinar:  SAS Certification Review Session:  Base Programmer for SAS 9 this Thursday, September 14 at 11 AM ET.   It's an hour long so we cannot possibly go over everything but we are going to provide an overview of the exam topics and focus in on some areas where we have seen candidates struggle.  There will be Q&A time provided as well. 

Register Now if you'd like to attend.

helenddddddd
Calcite | Level 5

I missed the FREE Webinar:  SAS Certification Review Session:

Can you tell me where can I view that? thanks

Helen

beccagre
SAS Moderator

Hello,

If you were unable to attend today's FREE webinar:  Preparing for the SAS Base Programming Certification Exam,  I will be posting a link to the On-Demand version of the webinar along with a PDF copy of the Q&A session here on the SAS Certification Community site within the next few days.  I will post an announcement on this community board.

Thank you for your interest in the SAS Global Certification program. 

beccagre
SAS Moderator

Hello,  

Early next week,  I will Post-webinar resources posted to SAS® Certification Community

As a reminder, the following resources will be made available in the SAS Certification Community after the live webinar event:

·        On-demand presentation link. 

·        Presentation slides. 

·         Q&A topics.

intgeni
Calcite | Level 5
I missed it as well, please post the link!
Kometaj
Calcite | Level 5
Unfortunately due to work I missed it too. Looking forward to viewing the recordings and the PDF . Thanks

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 9 in conversation