BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dchaita56
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

How do I access the Virtual Lab System data set (server files and folders) on my SAS University Edition?

(Since, we can not copy paste anything in Virtual Lab) 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Although you can use the University Edition for the Statistics 1 course in the Big Data Professional module 1, you're right, that is the only course that might work outside of the Virtual Lab.

The other courses, like the Visual Analytics course or the DataFlux course, already have the data and the metadata definitions loaded on the servers and so the only way to get access to that data is to make your reservation, enter the Virtual Lab and follow the instructions inside the course to work with the data.

For example, when you are inside the Visual Analytics course and you are instructed to work inside the Visual Analytics Hub, that software is not part of SAS University Edition, so you need to use the VA Hub in the Virtual Lab. Once you start the VA Hub, you need to make sure that the LASR servers on the image are started and then you load the data into the servers to start working.

Every module in the Data Science Academy has an image that has been pre-loaded with the software and the data you need to use to practice the classes and the case studies. Every class inside one of the modules has the instructions for how to work with the data or application in that class.

Hope that clarifies how the Virtual Lab is intended to work.

cynthia

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Virtual Lab is different than SAS UE, did you perhaps mean SAS Studio?

Can you clarify which you're using?

If you're taking a course, you need to work in the Virtual Lab from what I understand and the data can't come out or in 😞

dchaita56
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Reeza,

I'm using Virtual Lab for the training, however as you understand, the data can not come in or out of the Lab.. Hence, I thought of downloading SAS University Edition and get the data set (the one with Virtual Lab) copied to my SAS U E. Can we do this, is my question.

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

No. Data cannot come in or out of the lab as far as I know. Here's a link to the official response from SAS a few months ago.

Even if you could, SAS UE doesn't include a lot of the features you'll be using in the lab such as Enterprise Miner and/or time series analysis. You would need a full SAS University installation, which includes EM and other modules, it's usually around $99 from your University, if you're affiliated with one.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Academy-for-Data-Science/Practice-Datasets/m-p/416388

@dchaita56 wrote:

Hi Reeza,

I'm using Virtual Lab for the training, however as you understand, the data can not come in or out of the Lab.. Hence, I thought of downloading SAS University Edition and get the data set (the one with Virtual Lab) copied to my SAS U E. Can we do this, is my question.

Thanks.

TheresaStemler
SAS Moderator

Hi Dchaita56,

For all the modules within the Data Science Academy, you will be using the Virtual Lab Environment (VLE) not your local SAS University Edition. The VLE will act as the main hub for your module(s), within the VLE you can access courses and set up practice time using the Virtual Lab Reservation System. For the software access, you will use Amazon Web Services to access our software. Instructions for the Virtual Lab Reservation system are INSIDE the VLE for each module. 

For details about reserving lab time, see Reserving Software Lab Time on the right side of community home page.

Best of luck!

dchaita56
Calcite | Level 5

Theresa,

I agree. However, could I know how will the data (to be precise: the code statements) play in and out of the Virtual Lab?

Thanks.

TheresaStemler
SAS Moderator

dchaita,

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "how will the data (to be precise: the code statements) play in and out". Can you elaborate?

Please keep in mind that many of the modules require software and functionality that is not available via SAS Studio or the University Edition. The VLE has everything you need for each module.

CLW1964
Fluorite | Level 6

For what it's worth, I used SAS University Edition for Module 1 of Big Data, Stats1 because the data files are the same ones used in the free e-learning Statistics 1 class.

I found University edition much easier to do the exercises in than the Virtual Lab, plus you don't have to make a reservation. But I believe the Stats1 section is the only one that you can do this with.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Although you can use the University Edition for the Statistics 1 course in the Big Data Professional module 1, you're right, that is the only course that might work outside of the Virtual Lab.

The other courses, like the Visual Analytics course or the DataFlux course, already have the data and the metadata definitions loaded on the servers and so the only way to get access to that data is to make your reservation, enter the Virtual Lab and follow the instructions inside the course to work with the data.

For example, when you are inside the Visual Analytics course and you are instructed to work inside the Visual Analytics Hub, that software is not part of SAS University Edition, so you need to use the VA Hub in the Virtual Lab. Once you start the VA Hub, you need to make sure that the LASR servers on the image are started and then you load the data into the servers to start working.

Every module in the Data Science Academy has an image that has been pre-loaded with the software and the data you need to use to practice the classes and the case studies. Every class inside one of the modules has the instructions for how to work with the data or application in that class.

Hope that clarifies how the Virtual Lab is intended to work.

cynthia