BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Liz373
Obsidian | Level 7

For the Optimization Course Notes, Starting on Page 2-6 (Linear Programming), there is question about number of dimensiions in the feasible region.  Within the course notes, it states that there are 2 dimensions.  For the Practice Test via Pearson Vue, the exact same question is asked and the answer is 3 dimensions.  What is the correct answer?  When I do the math, I get 2 dimensions.  Is it possible both are right and it is just the wording? 

This is the problem that has Maximize 12x + 9y.

Thank you,

Liz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
We are asking the Practice Exam team in the Certification group to review the questions related to dimensions. They can work with the class instructors to make sure that the Practice Exam is in sync with the class. Without seeing the full question, it's hard to give you a definitive answer.
One of the instructors did comment this about the question on page 2-6:

Maximize 12x + 9y

Subject to x+3y <= 225
x+y <= 117
3x+4y <= 420
x>=0, y>=0

This problem is a 2 dimensional problem since there are 2 decision variables, in this case x and y are the 2 decision variables. So if the Pearson question was EXACTLY the same, then the answer should be 2, as you indicate. This is what the Certification team will have to check with the developers.
Thanks for your patience while we investigate,
Cynthia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
We are asking the Practice Exam team in the Certification group to review the questions related to dimensions. They can work with the class instructors to make sure that the Practice Exam is in sync with the class. Without seeing the full question, it's hard to give you a definitive answer.
One of the instructors did comment this about the question on page 2-6:

Maximize 12x + 9y

Subject to x+3y <= 225
x+y <= 117
3x+4y <= 420
x>=0, y>=0

This problem is a 2 dimensional problem since there are 2 decision variables, in this case x and y are the 2 decision variables. So if the Pearson question was EXACTLY the same, then the answer should be 2, as you indicate. This is what the Certification team will have to check with the developers.
Thanks for your patience while we investigate,
Cynthia
Liz373
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Cynthia.  I'll e-mail you my screen shots.  

--Liz