BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jessyka
Calcite | Level 5

I have a large amount of experience with SAS, and with analytics... but I am just starting the coursework for the Data Scientist certification.  Is there anything about this training that you wish someone had told you when you began this coursework and the on-line training?

Thanks!

Jessyka

1 REPLY 1
JThompson
SAS Employee

Jessyka,

Hello.  Welcome to the SAS Academy for Data Science and congratulations on your decision to enroll. I am one of the coaches/mentors for the face-to-face version of the academy.  So my input is not from the student perspective, but from one who has worked closely with students and watched and helped them go through the program. Your background sounds perfect, and even if some of your analytics or SAS skills are rusty, there is opportunity to brush up on them during the courses. One thing to know going in is the course work you will have is serious.  The academy is designed to be similar to a master's level program at a university.  Do not blow off the videos (you are taking the self-paced, online version, right?) even for topics you may already be familiar with.  In the self-paced class, you will not have the crunch time that the face-to-face students have (they often take a certification exam in the very week that have had classes) however, set a reasonable pace for yourself and stick with it.  It is possible that if you take a class, and then 3 months later sit for a certification exam, details that you learned in the class could be gone from memory.

Make sure you have completed all components of a class or classes before considering taking the certification exam for that material.  Practice, practice, practice, will pay off.  Take the practice exams for all certifications before you sit for the exam, even if you feel 100% comfortable with the material.  The practice exams may not be perfectly one-to-one with the certificatoin exam but they are a great tool to let you know what to expect.  Some of the exams you will be using software and all exams are timed.  You want to be sure using the tool(s) or your knowledge in general is fluent.

Best of luck with the program.  Continue to post here should you have other questions or concerns.

Jeff Thompson, PhD

Sr. Analytical Training Consultant

SAS Education