BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
royalito85
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everybody,

I have time reservation to virtual lab for lesson 1 and 3 in the additional sas data management, but I don´t understand what is the use of this space?, Is this for explore the sas studio?. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The Virtual Lab is for you to practice. In the Data Curation level, you have several different specific Virtual Labs to follow, as shown below:

All the classes in the Data Curation Level:

Cynthia_sas_0-1587177424358.png

SAS Data Management Tools and Applications Virtual lab button for the 13 lessons in THIS class and ONLY this class:

Cynthia_sas_1-1587177498908.png

SAS And Hadoop class:

Cynthia_sas_2-1587177560129.png

Advanced SAS Data Management Tools and Applications lessons (note that EACH lesson has a lab):

We expect you to use the Virtual Lab to practice the work, as outlined in the course. For example, if you were studying the first course, that uses Data Integration Studio (not SAS Studio), then you watch the videos in Lesson 1 and then at the end of Lesson 1 there is an instructor-only demo for you to watch about using SAS/Access.

Basically, inside lesson 2, you'd watch all lecture videos and instructor demos, then you'd go back make a Virtual Lab reservation and do the Activities and Practices in the Lesson. For example you'd watch the videos in Lesson 2. Inside Lesson 2, you would see an Activity, as shown below:

lesson2_handson.png

So it's not clear to me where you're starting, but I would recommend NOT just jumping blindly into a Virtual Lab reservation without watching some of the videos in the course(s). As you can see, the Labs are specific for each class. The items needed for one class may not be loaded in the Virtual Lab for another class. SAS Studio is NOT used in the Data Integration Studio class, but IS used in the SAS and Hadoop class. So the Labs are not interchangeable and are matched to the courses. The courses have instructions for you, as shown above. You'll go farther through the courses if you watch the videos in several lessons before starting your Virtual Lab session in order to get a sense of what it is you're going to do in the Virtual Lab.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The Virtual Lab is for you to practice. In the Data Curation level, you have several different specific Virtual Labs to follow, as shown below:

All the classes in the Data Curation Level:

Cynthia_sas_0-1587177424358.png

SAS Data Management Tools and Applications Virtual lab button for the 13 lessons in THIS class and ONLY this class:

Cynthia_sas_1-1587177498908.png

SAS And Hadoop class:

Cynthia_sas_2-1587177560129.png

Advanced SAS Data Management Tools and Applications lessons (note that EACH lesson has a lab):

We expect you to use the Virtual Lab to practice the work, as outlined in the course. For example, if you were studying the first course, that uses Data Integration Studio (not SAS Studio), then you watch the videos in Lesson 1 and then at the end of Lesson 1 there is an instructor-only demo for you to watch about using SAS/Access.

Basically, inside lesson 2, you'd watch all lecture videos and instructor demos, then you'd go back make a Virtual Lab reservation and do the Activities and Practices in the Lesson. For example you'd watch the videos in Lesson 2. Inside Lesson 2, you would see an Activity, as shown below:

lesson2_handson.png

So it's not clear to me where you're starting, but I would recommend NOT just jumping blindly into a Virtual Lab reservation without watching some of the videos in the course(s). As you can see, the Labs are specific for each class. The items needed for one class may not be loaded in the Virtual Lab for another class. SAS Studio is NOT used in the Data Integration Studio class, but IS used in the SAS and Hadoop class. So the Labs are not interchangeable and are matched to the courses. The courses have instructions for you, as shown above. You'll go farther through the courses if you watch the videos in several lessons before starting your Virtual Lab session in order to get a sense of what it is you're going to do in the Virtual Lab.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

:

ML_practitioner
Calcite | Level 5
If I have 25 hours, does it mean they are across all the classes?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
It depends on the Virtual Lab. If each class has a separate lab (like Data Curation), then your time is split into each class. On other modules, like Applied Analytics, the time allotment is for all the classes in the module. You should have more than enough time alloted for the classes with a separate lab. There are several ways that you can cause yourself to lose time:
1) start up the Virtual Lab, but let it sit idle while you watch the class videos for the first time. We recommend that you watch the videos and demos at least one time before you even start the Virtual Lab - so that you have a sense of the focus for a chapter. You do not want to watch videos for an hour while the Virtual Lab clock is ticking down.
2) you finish your Reservation, but forget to go back and explicitly END the Reservation using the button in the Virtual Lab Reservation System window. In this case, you are charged ALL the time you reserved. So if you make a 3 hour reservation and only use 1.5 hours, you'll get charged only 1.5 hours if you END the reservation. But you'll get charged 3 hours if you just X out of the window without explicitly ending the reservation.
3) you click Reserve Now at 3 pm for a 2 hour reservation. You get called into a meeting at 3:30 PM. Your reservation is ready for you at 3:45. But you don't get back to your desk until 4:30. Then you log onto your Virtual Lab. The "clock started ticking" at 3:45 when Amazon had the lab ready for you. So you have used up 45 minutes between 3:45 and 4:30 and thus, have less time left in your reservation.

Hope this helps clarify how you can inadvertently lose time in the Virtual Lab.
Cynthia
Mojak
Calcite | Level 5
HI Cynthia,
was reading through this thread to find answer re: virtual lab. I'm at that point in the activity. managed to get my reservation and aws session went on. But could not able to log on using Bruno's credentials. server port, when I looked at it seem to be alright (same as the one on the video). Also tried clicking on alternative gateway, but same error message. would you happen to have a solution? thanks
Mojak-Joel
royalito85
Fluorite | Level 6

Cynthia, thanks a lot for your answer, I really appreciate your time.

Actually you have the reason, just a couple weeks ago that i had begun, so when i finished the first chapter about introduction data curation I found the link for lab practice and reserved some time to it but in this lab´s time I not found specific instructions, although begining the chapter two about tools I believe that I have some idea about the labs time. In other hand your explanation was clear for me.

Thank you. Have a nice day.