BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Bpotter136
Calcite | Level 5

In Programming I Essentials, I am using SAS Studio. The instructions are confusing. I had to use this line of code to get the NP library to appear correctly: 

libname np xlsx "&path/np_info.xlsx";

Seems like the instructions say something else for using SAS Studio. Could you look into this issue please? 

Perform the following tasks in your SAS software:

• Open a new program window.
    Write a LIBNAME statement to create a library named NP that reads np_info.xlsx in the course data as follows:
    • SAS Studio: Specify the full path to your EPG1V2/data folder and the complete file name.
    • Enterprise Guide: Specify &path and the complete file name.
  • Run the LIBNAME statement.
    Navigate to your list of libraries and open the NP library. How many tables are there in the NP library?

libname np xlsx "FILEPATH/np_info.xlsx"; 
/* Enterprise Guide: */
libname np xlsx "&path/np_info.xlsx"; 
There are three tables in the NP library: Parks, Species, and Visits.
  • Write an OPTIONS statement to ensure that column names follow SAS naming conventions.
    Write a PROC CONTENTS step to read the Parks table in the NP library.
    Add a LIBNAME statement after PROC CONTENTS to clear the NP library.
    Run the program and examine the log. Which column names have been modified to follow SAS naming conventions?
options validvarname=v7;
proc contents data=np.parks;
run;
libname np clear;

Park Code
 changed to Park_Code and Park Name changed to Park_Name.
2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

What does the value of &path look like?

If you aren't sure you should be able to submit code:  %put Path is: &path; and value should appear in the log as Path is: <something here>

If &path looks like a drive and some folders then that is exactly what is meant by

Specify the full path to your EPG1V2/data folder

And the file name is np_info.xlsx. The macro variable &path apparently has the Text needed to be equivalent to "FILENAME".

I suspect that the documentation may not be quite keeping up with the installation program contents.

Bpotter136
Calcite | Level 5
I think your last sentence clarifies this issue for me. It looks like the instructions may need to be updated. I got the practice done; don't want others to get frustrated or complain.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation