BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SherwinNourani
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am having an issue where whenever I go to a lesson, the video link doesn't load at all. It just shows a broken link sign in the middle of the player. Worse yet, it creates a second broken link screen next to the text below the video, making it very hard for me to continue the course. Everything was working fine earlier, but after I restarted my computer for a firmware update, I couldn't get the SAS Programming Course to function normally again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this issue? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I just tested the Programming 1 class and the course videos are loading and playing correctly for me. We find that most of the issues are caused by using the wrong browser (for example, don't use Microsoft Edge). Here are the system requirements: http://support.sas.com/training/elearn/system.html (note that Edge is not on the list).

Also, you must have JavaScript and popup windows enabled for the course to work correctly.

Finally, note the middle section here:

vle_reqs_epg194.png

about the BrightCove ports and domains. If the videos still don't work correctly, after you switch to using a supported browser, then the next most usual reason for video display issues is NOT having the right BrightCove ports and domains enabled, as described here:

https://support.brightcove.com/domains-and-ports-must-be-accessible-video-cloud

After that, you might have ad-blocking or spam-blocking software that is preventing the course from working correctly.

Last, but not least, (especially for .gov, .mil domains or banks and financial institutions), your company or agency might have very, very tight restrictions on working with streaming media. The class videos are hosted on our e-learning server and controlled by JavaScript, but they are played using your browser, and so, are subject to your system and browser settings.

Proxy server and firewall issues could also be the cause. But honestly, most of the issues that people have are fixed by just switching to one of the supported browsers. For example, if you're using Edge, switch to Chrome or Firefox or IE. 

I just tested the course in all 3 of the supported browsers and it loaded for me and played correctly.

Another thing you can do is try the course using a computer at home instead of at work. Typically, if you have very tight security on your work computer, you might find that the course works OK on your home computer or in the school computer lab.

If you have co-workers taking the same course, see if they have the same issues playing the course videos, if they don't, then you can work with your systems or network support group to find out how your work machine settings can be adjusted to allow the course videos to play.

I hope this explains that there doesn't seem to be an issue at our end of the server. Since the course is played using your browser and your settings, it is most likely that there's some setting on your system that is hindering the video playback.

You said that your computer just got a "firmware update" -- you might want to check with your systems group to see whether they also tweaked some of the security settings when they did the update.

Good luck!

Cynthia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I just tested the Programming 1 class and the course videos are loading and playing correctly for me. We find that most of the issues are caused by using the wrong browser (for example, don't use Microsoft Edge). Here are the system requirements: http://support.sas.com/training/elearn/system.html (note that Edge is not on the list).

Also, you must have JavaScript and popup windows enabled for the course to work correctly.

Finally, note the middle section here:

vle_reqs_epg194.png

about the BrightCove ports and domains. If the videos still don't work correctly, after you switch to using a supported browser, then the next most usual reason for video display issues is NOT having the right BrightCove ports and domains enabled, as described here:

https://support.brightcove.com/domains-and-ports-must-be-accessible-video-cloud

After that, you might have ad-blocking or spam-blocking software that is preventing the course from working correctly.

Last, but not least, (especially for .gov, .mil domains or banks and financial institutions), your company or agency might have very, very tight restrictions on working with streaming media. The class videos are hosted on our e-learning server and controlled by JavaScript, but they are played using your browser, and so, are subject to your system and browser settings.

Proxy server and firewall issues could also be the cause. But honestly, most of the issues that people have are fixed by just switching to one of the supported browsers. For example, if you're using Edge, switch to Chrome or Firefox or IE. 

I just tested the course in all 3 of the supported browsers and it loaded for me and played correctly.

Another thing you can do is try the course using a computer at home instead of at work. Typically, if you have very tight security on your work computer, you might find that the course works OK on your home computer or in the school computer lab.

If you have co-workers taking the same course, see if they have the same issues playing the course videos, if they don't, then you can work with your systems or network support group to find out how your work machine settings can be adjusted to allow the course videos to play.

I hope this explains that there doesn't seem to be an issue at our end of the server. Since the course is played using your browser and your settings, it is most likely that there's some setting on your system that is hindering the video playback.

You said that your computer just got a "firmware update" -- you might want to check with your systems group to see whether they also tweaked some of the security settings when they did the update.

Good luck!

Cynthia

SherwinNourani
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, Cynthia! Going through a process of elimination, I found that it was my firewall security settings that caused the issue.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation